First build(s), did I choose the right driver?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Turanian
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi everybody!

Planning a build for 2x4 tent. LedGardeners designs would be perfect, but would like to have at least 45000lumens for that space. I assume throwing in 2 more 2ft samsung strips (https://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/e ... ND/6624001, this is the lm561c one, right?) and upgrading the driver to hlg320h-24b would get me there?

I'm also thinking about modernzing my veg setup. 5000K 2ft samsungs are out of stock at DigiKey (haven't heard of other reliable sources), but 3-4 bridgelux EB-strips would run on hlg60h-20b, am I correct?
Turanian
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Couple more questions...

Is cri90 only available in COB-format? Couldn't find cri90 strips at Digikey and Samsung's data sheet doesn't list the option.

Does anyone know how the dimming actually works on hlgxx-xxB drivers. The data sheet is not explicit enough for my brain, it seems to me that e.g. on the 24V model first the voltage drops to 14.4V and only then it start reducing current. Or is the B-model output PWM?

Last, the dimming pot on LedGardeners example build. Surely any 100K/LIN would do? Haven't seen that expensive a potentiometer since I modded my wahwah-guitar effect some 10 years ago...
Turanian
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok, so I finally got all the stuff and assembled my veg unit. Due to some space constraints I used threaded rod through the U-channels with 100mm pieces of aluminium pipe as spacers. I left 1mm extra U-channel on each end in case of bumping the thing into something -> final unit length 562mm, can't really get any shorter than that.

I'm a little conserned about the thermal tape though. I had the thing running for about 30min, don't really know about how much current I was putting through it, maybe half of the 750mA maximum per strip (Bridgelux). Anyway, the U-channel was cold to touch, as if it had no leds attached to it at all. Could still feel heat in front of the strip (this could just be the energy in the light). Would this be normal or did I "score" a counterfeit thermal tape?
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

What strips and driver are you using for your veg setup?

Unless thermal tape is too much thick i wouldn't worry about fake products.
Turanian
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Bridgelux strips(2ft) and HLG60H-20B (for 4 strips). Tidied the wiring a bit, hung it up (now that was difficult, need to get those hangers for my bigger light) and been running it full power (750mA/strip) for ~an hour, getting some heat on the aluminium. I guess the tape is fine...

The tape is really thin, like 0,2mm or even less. It's just not the same brand that LedGardener used, couldn't get that shipped to Turania.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

2ft strips are rated for 1.4A max
The driver outputs 3A, each strip is driven at 750mA so
50% power

Low heat is normal
Turanian
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

By full power I meant the driver. But yeah, 3 days running and the U-channels are a bit warmer than my hand, so about 37°C/100°F.

Plants are loving it, never thought I could get this much growth (especially roots) on sort of bastard passive NFT I use for most of my vegging/keeping alive.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Right on. Glad it’s working out. It’s surprising how cool these run.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!