How far can we drive ?

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
TedTheLed
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Greetings from Ibiza,
Having found this site about 4 months ago i,m now on my 5th build, bog standard package my first one was a 4 x cxb 3590 1400, and the next four sets i used the bridgelux 29,
So my question is if i want to hang my drivers on the wall and not on the light frame how fire can my wiring travel, i assume its not infinite.
Maxxor
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Last edited by Maxxor on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedTheLed
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Or would it be possible to change gauge at the frame? also not an Electrician :roll:
thanks for the welcome
So i,m wondering what guage wire comes from the driver itself, my thinking is that i add two meters to that in the same guage then drop the guage when i get to the frame. would this work
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

TedTheLed wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:23 am
Or would it be possible to change gauge at the frame? also not an Electrician :roll:
thanks for the welcome
So i,m wondering what guage wire comes from the driver itself, my thinking is that i add two meters to that in the same guage then drop the guage when i get to the frame. would this work
Obligatory "I'm not an electrician either".

I think your solution is the way to do it. Use a thicker conductor to get the signal over the distance, then step it down to a very short run of smaller diameter wire that fits in the terminal. That's what I've done in the past. There are a lot of good voltage drop calculators online that can help you determine the size of wire you'll need.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

TedTheLed wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:23 am
So i,m wondering what guage wire comes from the driver itself
What driver are you using? I use 1.5mm (~15AWG) for most purposes. Tin the tips of stranded wire after stripping it, just to make sure loose strands don't end up causing trouble. Definitely not an electrician.
TedTheLed
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I,m using the meanwell 1400 185 for most part, but have just put in an order 4 x 200watt kits 2 x 300 watt kits and one off the big daddy 600 watt all will be 1400 drivers to run the cobs at 50 watt, i see on the big 600 driver there are two outlets to divide the load. so i,m going to assume unless anyone tells me different that if i copy the guage at the driver and add two meters at the frame it should be ok. i had just read somewhere on another post about remote drivers and that blokes sticks all his in another room to keep the heat down