Running at max or 75%?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Cmm2526
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am having some difficulties understanding this particular aspect on my builds. I hear people say that you want to run as close to 100% as possible, and others saying 75 or 50%. Is running at 75 or 50 for heat management and longer life of the lights ? So when talking about running at lower levels we are talking about the voltage going to the lights? The strip uses 23v, would running at 50% mean you lower the potentiometer until they receive 11.5?is it the amps that if not provided enough that they will not light up. Sorry for the noobness
Aolelon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Usually when you run leds at a lower % they become way more efficiant at converting energy to light. The hotter they get the less light they produce, so having a bunch of LEDs at 50-75% is going to be way more efficient than just 1 light at 100%
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Cmm2526 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:31 am
The strip uses 23v, would running at 50% mean you lower the potentiometer until they receive 11.5?
voltage will always stay around 23V. u regulate the amperage. i recommend the video series about HLG drivers for explanations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdLeA2BFT0A
Last edited by tazztone on Sat May 05, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

The consensus around here seems to be that 75% is the sweet spot for running leds. I've never heard anyone say that one should run at 100%. Only if you want to and are aware of the tradeoffs.
HalfBee
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Dealing with the 560 EB strips and their datasheets,
I read the 700mA as 100% (test current) and when
at 1050mA it's 150% and 1400mA for 200%.

Have treated my Vero 18s & 13s the same way when
selecting heatsinks. If you aren't going to run them at
the upper ranges can use less costly heatsinks.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I understood that the chosen test sheet current can also be a strategic choice, like in RIU someone was saying that the 301B has virtually the same specs as the 561c, but mainly seems more efficient because the chosen current was lower?

In speadsheats they sometimes have a technical term max power, which should be the true 100%.

I think in this question you are balancing between a few variables. 1. Light spread, 2. Temperature/ Heat sink costs 3. module costs 4. Efficiency

So the answer will vary based on these. For example in Finland we don't really have much decent heatsink providers, and even a aluminium U tube costs more then a strip, so here the calculation looks different then if you live next door to heatsinkusa.

In general adding strips and running cool is good for everything except cost. It will improve coverage, efficiency, lifespan etc. I would love to see someone go full retard and make a 600w light with 60 4foot f-strips. But you have to stop somewhere. 75% seems to be where most people stop.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:19 pm
301B has virtually the same specs as the 561c, but mainly seems more efficient because the chosen current was lower?
like i calculated in the other thread. it is 3.5% more efficient than lm561c if you power them the same.
Cmm2526
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks guys, I know this was such a noob question, everyone can point and laugh at this guy(me). But I really do appreciate everyone's Knowledge and insight, much love.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So perhaps it could be said that there is more difference between the Q-series and the F-series, then between their diodes. Even if the diode is 3% more efficient, the f-series has so much more diodes that if you run the strips at the same power the f-series will be more efficient because its driven softer? So as long as the Q series is 50% more expensive per diode, you save more then 3% by adding the extra diodes.

How much softer do you need to run a strip to gain 3% efficiency? That settles the real value of the 301b over the 561c
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Cmm2526 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:59 pm
Thanks guys, I know this was such a noob question, everyone can point and laugh at this guy(me). But I really do appreciate everyone's Knowledge and insight, much love.
What is your main priority? Cost saving, ensuring even lighting? Are there practical concerns driving your light design? For me I will run my top light at around 50% of nominal, 25% of max, and my sidelight at about half of that. But my main concerns were getting close to the plant and saving cost. So its a stingy effort to spread light out just enough that I can bring light really close to the plant. I will probably end up doubling the sidelight elements later, but I might not add any more drivers. Just run them at 6% of max really close...

At that point I probably wouldnt need heatsinks at all, which would already pay half of the added strips.