Bridgelux Horticulture

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
kmb
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet...
BridgeLuxHorticulture.jpg
BridgeLuxHorticulture.jpg (41.69 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Also the product simulator https://www.bridgelux.com/product-simulatornow has PPF in it... a quick note for usage. To get an approximate PPFD from PPF, assuming your COB is a point source then:

The BeamWidth = 2*TAN(RADIANS(BeamAngle))*HangingHeight
(Above is in Excel notation for simplicity)
Where BeamAngle is generally 120 degrees if no reflector, otherwise just enter what your reflector is.
And the units of BeamWidth will be the same units as HangingHeight, i.e. if you use inches, then BeamWidth is in inches.

Next you can calculate the area assuming it will be a circle as:
Area = Pi*(BeamWidth/2)^2 = 3.14*(BeamWidth/2)^2
This will give you Area in whatever units BeamWidth were in...

Then convert the area to m^2 = Area (m^2)
PPFD = PPF/Area(m^2)

Should give a rough idea of the PPFD in the space... kinda cool.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Time to update my product simulator.

This is very cool.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
kmb
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Yeah it's pretty interesting, I did some additional digging @25°C case temperature and 1750 mA (Max for the driver I plan on running) we get the following...
PPFComparison.jpg
PPFComparison.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
The first three row compare the effect of CRI on PPF at 3000K, the 80CRI have the most PPF, but only 5% more than the 90CRI, so there isn't a huge difference, the interesting thing is the conversion factor, for the 90CRI its much higher 0.163 PPF/Lumen versus 0.0143 PPF/Lumen, so it does output better quality light, but the 80CRI as others have mentioned does win because it puts out more lumens, what your plants actually prefer is still a question.

Another interesting thing is PPF versus color temperature at 90CRI, 6500 is 80CRI (since spec sheet doesn't have a 90CRI). I know with T5 6500K seems popular it seems like for vegging or spectral mixing 6500K might be the way to go for LED as well? Anyone know why you don't hear much about it?
PPFColorChart.jpg
PPFColorChart.jpg (10.77 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

What rev.# of the product simulator are you running?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
kmb
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I'm running "Bridgelux Vero SE Product Simulator EXPIRES 20171231 Rev.4.xlsm", did I screw something up?

Cheers
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

kmb wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:55 am
80CRI have the most PPF, but only 5% more than the 90CRI
found this on RIU:
CLU057 A-PPF.PNG
CRI 70 has highest PPF/watt, but
CRI 90 has highest active-PPF/watt
it's for Citizen COBs but might be applicable to all white LED
i know it's wrong to disregard all 510-610nm photons. but CRI90 might actually win in YPF/W
UPDATE: it doesn't win
Last edited by tazztone on Sat May 05, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Do you have to install it in windows, and does it need to access the net? and does it include the vesta series?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

yeah i haven't found a way to actually agree to the licence agreement to get to the next step on the bridgelux page
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

tazztone wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:53 pm
yeah i haven't found a way to actually agree to the licence agreement to get to the next step on the bridgelux page
LOL... I only had windows as a music studio, since the late 90's I have never gone on line with a windows computer... Last time I installed some music programs in windows I could barely find them when a thumbnail was not generated...

Back with windows XP we had a tool to rip of all network components from windows. It would become stable and powerful. Now I havn't found anything like that anymore.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Salmonetin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

...erased...