My Low budget build - Chanzon 100w Full Spectrum / Meanwell SE-600 36v power supply

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
electrok-d
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

bvolt wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:08 pm
You need to make sure the over-voltage and over-current settings aren't too low (the actual voltage and current are the top two parameters).

If you've got your V set to 36 and A to 1, but OPP set to 35W, it'll just shut off (cuz it's really wanting 36W)*.

So when I've got a COB on there, I'll set the V to 36 and the OVP to 37 (or 36.8, for example) - so if it starts spiraling out of control - as soon as it start wanting to pull 37V, it'll shut off,

The same is true for OCP (over current) and OPP (over-power (watts)).
That is the strange part. I can increase the voltage output from the power supply to whatever as well as the ovp and ocp. I can't get the voltage to increase. It appears it is operating in CC mode. I haven't read how to alter or engage CV or CC modes.
main display
main display
settings panel
settings panel
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

So, if the COB wants 36V, it’s the S-OVP @ 35.5 limiting it. Try going higher.
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

tazztone wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:20 pm
i wonder about the overall efficiency of this setup (consumption from the wall vs power output).
Yeah, this series of supply is only about 90% efficient.
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

dude, even the driver alone only has 87% efficiency
electrok-d
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

bvolt wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:56 pm
So, if the COB wants 36V, it’s the S-OVP @ 35.5 limiting it. Try going higher.
Increasing the input voltage from the power supply and setting OVP value higher does nothing. I don't get it.

(EDITED TO INCLUDE) ...

36v isn't the target voltage. It's actually 34v. The picture illustrates the disparity in voltage I'm getting no matter how high I adjust the settings on the voltage regulator. I'm beginning to wonder if it is faulty.
Last edited by electrok-d on Sat May 12, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electrok-d
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

tazztone wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:57 am
dude, even the driver alone only has 87% efficiency
It's 8.5% less efficient than the hlg-600h 36v driver. I didn't really see that as a deal killer for me.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Does the display say it's in cc mode? Maybe you have to change it to CV mode to adjust the voltage. This is just a guess though.
NothinYet is my nickname
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i was rather interested in additional losses by this voltage converter. but not much lost by DC-DC conversion? so ~80% efficiency overall ?
electrok-d
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

sdfoster22 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:47 pm
Does the display say it's in cc mode? Maybe you have to change it to CV mode to adjust the voltage. This is just a guess though.
There is no information in the instructions on how to do that or whether or not it is even possible. It is likely that it switches between cv and cc modes internally, based on currently onknown factors.

*edited to add newly discovered info*

I think I found the reason behind the voltage regulator switching to cc mode. The power supply is cv by default and rated at 36v/15amps. The cob led units will apparently take as much amperage as given until they blow up. The regulator is limiting current by switching to cc mode in order to protect them. That's great.

What I don't quite understand is why I can't increase the voltage in this case though. I can max the output voltage on the power supply and set it really high in the regulator, but no matter what I do, it remains slightly under 30 volts.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

electrok-d wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm

There is no information in the instructions on how to do that or whether or not it is even possible. It is likely that it switches between cv and cc modes internally, based on currently onknown factors.

*edited to add newly discovered info*

I think I found the reason behind the voltage regulator switching to cc mode. The power supply is cv by default and rated at 36v/15amps. The cob led units will apparently take as much amperage as given until they blow up. The regulator is limiting current by switching to cc mode in order to protect them. That's great.

What I don't quite understand is why I can't increase the voltage in this case though. I can max the output voltage on the power supply and set it really high in the regulator, but no matter what I do, it remains slightly under 30 volts.
I was reading on this thing some, and some people report that it switches from cc to cv automatically. Maybe it depends on how the stuff is wired. Maybe put a secon cob wired in series, test, then parallel, test again? Have you tried something like that?

Have you tried to contact the company, and ask them if you can switch cc and CV manually, or ask them what makes it switch? Some people slain you can do it manually, but they never said how.

*edit*
Or maybe the cheap cob is why it won't go higher. QC isn't good on those. Do you have any strips or cobs that have good QC?
NothinYet is my nickname