First Grow journal - 320W - 3X3 - Organic

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yes I reread the thread and noticed you had good humidity. Surely your lights can be much closer then this? Although I dont think that explains the bushiness either.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I don't know... I'm quite happy right now with the "bushyness". I have a lot of cola and everything is growing strong!

unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yes, here they are looking great, in the previous photo i thought they looked kinda flat. Awesome!
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Yyay, I just received my Apogee SQ-520 USB sensor! I was so impatient!

I have some fresh numbers about my 3x3 F series light (5x 3500K 2" F strip):

I had really too much light for veg without Co2. (More than 1000 umol/m2/s @ canopy).

So I dimmed down my HLG 320A to the minimum current & maximum voltage.
And now, @ 18cm / 7 inches from light to canopy I have an average PPFD of 500-600. (600-700 in the center). The uniformity of the PPFD is very good through the whole canopy. This is probably the best advantage of those DIY setup.

The light is running very cold so I could even put the light closer to the canopy, but I think a little distance can be good because of the led disposition & light propagation.

I will do an in-depth post about PPFD w/ my 3x3 light & 4x4 light asap.
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I just improved the spectrum & light uniformity of my 3x3 lights w/ 21 Cree XP-E HE photo red led (660nm). Maybe I will get a bit more stretch!

Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

This design is really cool. The most innovative feature was the design for the 2 ft strips for the 3 ft area.
It also reminded me of the old Classic Snake game on DOS.
Would you be so kind as to show us what your uniformity is like? A setup like that with an Apogee 520 is begging to be bragged aboot.
LivingLight
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 pm
I just improved the spectrum & light uniformity of my 3x3 lights w/ 21 Cree XP-E HE photo red led (660nm). Maybe I will get a bit more stretch!
That's the opposite, using red 660nm, if not balancing with far red, reduce the stretch, delay flowering and senescence.
You got a pretty nice veg spectrum ;), should work decently for flowering
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

LivingLight wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:23 pm
That's the opposite, using red 660nm, if not balancing with far red, reduce the stretch, delay flowering and senescence.
You got a pretty nice veg spectrum ;), should work decently for flowering
I would love to add 680-700 nm red to perfect my spectrum and have a good Emerson effect, but can't find any trusted led diode in this nm range...

Also, I've read a lot of controversial stuff about 660 red. For now, I'm trying.
Professor Xavier wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:59 pm
This design is really cool. The most innovative feature was the design for the 2 ft strips for the 3 ft area.
It also reminded me of the old Classic Snake game on DOS.
Would you be so kind as to show us what your uniformity is like? A setup like that with an Apogee 520 is begging to be bragged aboot.
I'm preparing a full test of my lights soon. Don't have time right now w/ my automation project. :)
LivingLight
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 pm

I would love to add 680-700 nm red to perfect my spectrum and have a good Emerson effect, but can't find any trusted led diode in this nm range...

Also, I've read a lot of controversial stuff about 660 red. For now, I'm trying.

you'd better go for 700-750nm far red ^^ mostly for the phytochromes, emerson isn't tht important.
660nm is controversial because its use depends mostly on the kind of plant you are growing and because people don't know much about short day flowering. Scientific findings about this topic are kinda recent.
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

LivingLight wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:42 pm
macthezazou wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 pm

you'd better go for 700-750nm far red ^^ mostly for the phytochromes, emerson isn't tht important.
660nm is controversial because its use depends mostly on the kind of plant you are growing and because people don't know much about short day flowering. Scientific findings about this topic are kinda recent.
Do you have any recent studies link about this to back up your claim? (far-red + deep-red)? I've talk to some experienced & known led grower & most of them are saying that 700+nm is a waste of energy during day cycle. (exemple)

I'm currently using 730 cree led to test phytochrome manipulation & if you have any decent info on how far red can improve my spectrum, I would love to try balancing the 660 with some 730 on my 3x3 lights.