4 x QB120 - Power Supply suggestions

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
peacfrog69
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Humple wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:03 am

That's more than enough power for your square footage, but the unusual dimensions of your space wouldn't be well suited to the layout of that light. The boards have very tight diode spacing, and they would be fairly close together, so the ends of your cabinet would see too little light. In order to get uniformity, you'd need to hang the light higher than you can in the space that you have.
Thanks again Humple for your advice. I've gone ahead and ordered the 4x QB120 boards, and the HLG-185H-24A. They should arrive by early next week. Now I just need to look around at heat sinks. I can probably locate a source for aluminum plate locally. Not sure if there's a reasonably priced source for heatsinks for 3 of the QB120 boards. Probably not a standard item anyway... I expect plain aluminum plate will be just fine!

I'll provide an update once I get all the parts assembled.
peacfrog69
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Finally received all parts, and have my light assembled! Its only been in place a couple hours, so not sure yet how well it will work.
Grow Cabinet w LED Lights.jpg
I have 3 QB120's wired in parallel using thermostat wire (18/2 solid core) to an HLG-185H-24A supply. The mounting board is 1/8" aluminum sheet 12" wide by 33 inches long. The heatsink didn't get above room temperature within the first 5 minutes. I'll check it again in an hour or so. Pretty happy with the final result!

I see that the pic is showing sideways. Not sure how to fix that - sorry!
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

peacfrog69 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:45 pm
Finally received all parts, and have my light assembled! Its only been in place a couple hours, so not sure yet how well it will work.

I have 3 QB120's wired in parallel using thermostat wire (18/2 solid core) to an HLG-185H-24A supply. The mounting board is 1/8" aluminum sheet 12" wide by 33 inches long. The heatsink didn't get above room temperature within the first 5 minutes. I'll check it again in an hour or so. Pretty happy with the final result!

Awesome! Do you have a multimeter or a Kill-a-watt to measure your wattage?

Edit: more pics would be great!
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

peacfrog69 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Nice one man, really like this.
I agree with above comment; more pics of the build would be great :)

I'm currently wondering if four of these 120's would be a better deal than two QB 288's (for veg specifically), value wise.

The 4x QB 120 kit would be about $200 CAD - Shipped
An HLG-240h-c2100a (for eg.) would be about $100-115 CAD - Shipped (from mouser)

About $320 total, plus wire, wagos, power cord etc.

If you can score a pair of QB 288 V1's and matching heatsink(s) from hlgcanada.ca, and add that same 240h-c2100a, it's about $400-420, plus wire, wagos, power cord etc.

I like your setup, looks great. Good decision I think.
I also wonder if the 3000K would be good in veg for stuff like basil, letuc/kale, other leafy green stuff and edible plants. Or if 4000K would be significantly better at that.

Thanks for sharing man.