Going over the listed output voltage of a driver?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
6 Cuicos
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Quick question guys.

I have a HLG 320h c2100a. What happens if I wire in series 3 boards of which 2 have specs of [email protected] and the third of [email protected]. and I run the drivers to their max(2.369a reportedly)?

I'm guessing based out of a video on the site by ledgardener that they will auto adjust, meaning they'll put out 152v*2.369a in between the 3? Oversized heatsinks would be used. This is just a guess based of the video of him trying to trash some boards overpowering them and from my lacking knowledge, don't be mean if I'm being stupid. And thanks
LivingLight
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

6 Cuicos wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 pm
Quick question guys.

I have a HLG 320h c2100a. What happens if I wire in series 3 boards of which 2 have specs of [email protected] and the third of [email protected]. and I run the drivers to their max(2.369a reportedly)?

I'm guessing based out of a video on the site by ledgardener that they will auto adjust, meaning they'll put out 152v*2.369a in between the 3? Oversized heatsinks would be used. This is just a guess based of the video of him trying to trash some boards overpowering them and from my lacking knowledge, don't be mean if I'm being stupid. And thanks
Here if i understand well, your leds are supposed to work at a total of 196v. The driver can't adjust that much, it's supposed to deliver 152v, so maybe could go to 156v.
Your leds just won't work at all imo, if you don't reach the forward voltage, the led is not working.
And usually if you are messing up with your driver, the oversized heatsink should rather go to the driver cooling ;)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

The lights won’t work at all being that much over the max voltage of the driver.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
6 Cuicos
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok thanks. Do you have any driver recommendations so I can get ~135w out of the board? Will an HLG-120H-54A work? Those too have a fV of 58... Any decent driver will do, doesn't need to be mean well.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

6 Cuicos wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:25 pm
Ok thanks. Do you have any driver recommendations so I can get ~135w out of the board? Will an HLG-120H-54A work? Those too have a fV of 58... Any decent driver will do, doesn't need to be mean well.
Take a look here.
http://ledgardener.com/driver-reference-sheet/

If you choose a constant current driver, add up all the voltage of the stuff you are using and size it accordingly. The reported numbers that are higher than the rated driver are for the a version.
NothinYet is my nickname
6 Cuicos
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Take a look here.
http://ledgardener.com/driver-reference-sheet/

If you choose a constant current driver, add up all the voltage of the stuff you are using and size it accordingly. The reported numbers that are higher than the rated driver are for the a version.
I'm familiar with those sheets but I need to get a 240h c2100 and that's overkill, I found the ELG-150-C2100A for 40usd but if I there's cheaper options it'd be great.