New POW R2 from Sonoff.

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:30 pm
Sativant wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:38 am
Yes - it’s something I’m working up to. I’ve got a raspberry pi to use. I’m especially interested in controlling my garden’s environment.
we should work on automating the environment control to keep VPD on set :?
Please do. Be a Grower and a show-er.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Sativant wrote:
Yes - it’s something I’m working up to. I’ve got a raspberry pi to use. I’m especially interested in controlling my garden’s environment.
So hard to do without a sealed environment. It is the ultimate goal, though. Humidity is the tough one for me. Too low most of the year, except when it's way too high. And that's when its hot and dehumidifying makes too much heat. I've been able to grow in the VPD "red zone" most of the time, but it would be nice to have a really ideal environment.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:22 pm
Grower wrote:
Sativant wrote:
So hard to do without a sealed environment. It is the ultimate goal, though. Humidity is the tough one for me. Too low most of the year, except when it's way too high. And that's when its hot and dehumidifying makes too much heat. I've been able to grow in the VPD "red zone" most of the time, but it would be nice to have a really ideal environment.
I have hard times keeping vpd on spot, well I have never been able to!
I do not think a sealed environment is necessary, a continuos monitoring and adjusting could work by switching on/off the extractor through a relay or dimming up & down the lights to match plant capabilities, based on theoretical formulas of course but giving a weight to everything could give us the best environment given different conditions.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I'm growing in my garage, where temperatures go from 4˚C to 40˚C, with large rh swings too. I do what I can, but decided not to worry, since I like to grow year round. Some harvests may be better than others. I use automation wherever possible in the form of Sonoff switches and sensors.
I've recently started using an old android phone as a webcam. It also takes a picture every 15 minutes. I can really see the effects of any changes I make in how the plants react, either through viewing the live stream or the a time-lapse using individual pictures. $50 buys an old phone that's way more powerful than a stock webcam.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:53 pm
I'm growing in my garage, where temperatures go from 4˚C to 40˚C, with large rh swings too. I do what I can, but decided not to worry, since I like to grow year round. Some harvests may be better than others. I use automation wherever possible in the form of Sonoff switches and sensors.
I've recently started using an old android phone as a webcam. It also takes a picture every 15 minutes. I can really see the effects of any changes I make in how the plants react, either through viewing the live stream or the a time-lapse using individual pictures. $50 buys an old phone that's way more powerful than a stock webcam.
I saw many ppl using phones but I prefer to use a raspberry pi + camera module for the same purpose.
I grow in a attic and I have the same problems as you have!
One reason I like leds is because I can save on electricity, if I can optimize energy usage by dimming down lights when vpd is out of range I can save even more. When vpd is on spot lights are dimmed up and plants can use all the photons for photosynthesis.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Does that work well ? Dimming when vpd is off ? I worry that vpd is off often enough that I would lose growth if I dimmed too much. I guess I’ll check it out.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I have a raspberry pi as well. The pi is probably, in the long run, a much better solution. The cheap phone was easy to set up and get running right away.
Which camera module do you recommend ?
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So I could use this as a dimmer? can it control multiple drivers or does each one need its own? Does it do sunsets, and how do Í know if it fits my particular driver?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
kunkgrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Only issue with this is that the APP has a small bug. If you set the kWh value for something LESS than 1, eg: 0.5 there is an issue with apparently iOS formatting that causes the value to display as NaN on the value graph. Maybe the app expects a comma but iOS will only allow a dot thus crashes the formula.