I need some driver help...4x qb288 v2

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Woolster22
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey folks, thanks in advance for any and all help. I've been searching around and cant decide between parallel/series as it doesn't look to matter much?

As mentioned, I have 4 qb288 v2s @ 3000k on the way with 2 double slate 2 heat sinks. I'm leaning towards 2 drivers and just mount on the heat sink (one 600 to run em all isn't out of the question). That would make series wiring pretty damn simple and easy with 2 boards per driver. Apparently I need to step away from my stash because I keep getting confused with amps volts, run away, etc.

If there is someone around that could run through a couple options it would be great. Was thinking of a 240-c2100a run at max (for each 2 board set)? What would that be running each board at? Do the v2 boards need a little less than the v1 (looking at flux specs and the v2 sheet is all sub 50v...).

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Just trying to get a better understanding of it all before I spend another decent chunk on the drivers for these boards.

If it makes a difference, they will be going in a 4x4. I also have a 315cmh (a great little light in it's own. Killed it with some autos under that along with a few vegging moms) may or may not run with them in there.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Woolster22 wrote: ↑
Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 am
Hey folks, thanks in advance for any and all help. I've been searching around and cant decide between parallel/series as it doesn't look to matter much?

As mentioned, I have 4 qb288 v2s @ 3000k on the way with 2 double slate 2 heat sinks. I'm leaning towards 2 drivers and just mount on the heat sink (one 600 to run em all isn't out of the question). That would make series wiring pretty damn simple and easy with 2 boards per driver. Apparently I need to step away from my stash because I keep getting confused with amps volts, run away, etc.

If there is someone around that could run through a couple options it would be great. Was thinking of a 240-c2100a run at max (for each 2 board set)? What would that be running each board at? Do the v2 boards need a little less than the v1 (looking at flux specs and the v2 sheet is all sub 50v...).

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Just trying to get a better understanding of it all before I spend another decent chunk on the drivers for these boards.

If it makes a difference, they will be going in a 4x4. I also have a 315cmh (a great little light in it's own. Killed it with some autos under that along with a few vegging moms) may or may not run with them in there.
good questions...

parallel vs series is pretty much preference... originally I went series with a hlg480h-c2100b for 4 288 v1's... kind of wished I went 480h-54b instead.. for the shear fact you can add on later... I'm running 6 v1's now on the 480h-54b in same 5x5 tent.

also 1 big driver or two small drivers is the same way, preference... upside to two is if one some how does die on you.. still got the other going... but you also got the cmh.. both cv+cc drivers can allow for adding more boards later on.

yes the v2's have slightly lower voltage.. 50-51 max I think... so technically you should be able to run a hlg-240h-48v A type driver( 44.8-51.2 v range )wide open and they will work. that 240h is 5 amps, so that's 2500ma each... the 480h-48a at 10 amps only goes up to 50.4v..... that's cutting it close close I'm assuming for 2500ma each max.( 480=all 4) 54v types work also. dual 185's/240's or a 480 or a 600 for parallel.

your 240h-c2100a idea is always a great series option.. especially with slate 2's.. it's what HLG uses in their 260w kits.. you can always run them softer at 1050ma along side your 315w cmh. get that dual light going with better efficacy. the A type only dims half so the 2100a is 1050-2100ma..

dual 240's or a 480 would be fine for flower by themselves running full power in a 4x4. so cmh can be a awesome veg light for a little area or mix it with the LEDs turned way down..or use one QB light as a veg light and mix other with cmh .. you will have choices, what ever helps you the most!!

I think I covered most of it rambling... oh yeah thermal runaway... when ya got a minute watch LG try to blow a v1 up πŸ˜„ attempt #1 & #2 on YouTube πŸ˜„
Woolster22
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the reply! I just scoped out LGs 4 part thing about drivers. Probably should have gone there first.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

V2s run 2.8A @ <50w.
TypeA CV drivers have +/- of ~10%
If I'm running [email protected] I'm over the 480h rating.
The 600h-48A is rated for 12.5A, allowing me to run all 4 boards at max if I want...wire in parallel (wago trick for safety) and with the A series I should be able to hit the 50v mark (if needed) with the internal dimmer bonus points?

Did I read somewhere the 600 has 2 output leads? Seems like an awful convenient way to make me run the thing external, 1 lead to each board where I can split from wagos...

Do I have this right? I'd rather not find out I missed something and torch a bunch of boards.

Thanks for the help!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

yes if you wanted to push each to max the 600 would be better choice over the 480..( both -48 or -54's)

and yes. the hlg600 have duo outputs... basically you wife it like it's two 320w drivers in one.. half the current on one side half on the other.. it would make it ready easy to remote wire those also 😁
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote: ↑
Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 am
good questions...

parallel vs series is pretty much preference... originally I went series with a hlg480h-c2100b for 4 288 v1's... kind of wished I went 480h-54b instead.. for the shear fact you can add on later... I'm running 6 v1's now on the 480h-54b in same 5x5 tent.
I'm curious about this. So if you get a hlg600h and run four boards off it (at 600w), with the intention of adding two more boards later, you'll still only be getting 600w worth of lighting right? There's no increase of light/output is that right? So what's the benefit of that scenario?

If one has a constant current driver, say hlg-480h-c2100a, can you not run anywhere from one to four boards in series? Meaning "adding on later" is possible as well? I must be missing something. :)
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

At one spot, I'm running pairs qb 288 V1's on Slate 2 doubles on hlg-240h-c2100a drivers, so (so HLG 260w kits basically).

But have you considered inventronics drivers?

I'm deciding now on a 6 QB 288 setup (that might be a mix of V1 and V2 boards, would that be an issue - I don't know) I'm trying to figure out now if that same setup I described above would be just as doable with the new inventronics programmable cc driver line (EUD.....DTA/DTL, I think).
Another gardener said he's using the EUD-600w with six boards in series-parallel and each pair is pulling about 240w I think he said, can't remember.

A 260w kit pulls about 285w on max (3x285 = ~855w of QB goodness, right?). I'd like to find a similar output/setup with inventronics driver(s) if possible.

Peace.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Complex wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 am
good questions...

I'm curious about this. So if you get a hlg600h and run four boards off it (at 600w), with the intention of adding two more boards later, you'll still only be getting 600w worth of lighting right? There's no increase of light/output is that right? So what's the benefit of that scenario?

If one has a constant current driver, say hlg-480h-c2100a, can you not run anywhere from one to four boards in series? Meaning "adding on later" is possible as well? I must be missing something. :)
With the c2100 you can only add four boards because of the 229v limit. With the 54b you can add more boards because it just splits the amps between the boards, and you can get max wattage out of the driver.
NothinYet is my nickname
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 am
good questions...

it's efficacy over amount of watts 😁. on a 600 4 boards run roughly 2800ma each.. 6 would knock it down to 1866ma each. better lum/w, instead of running 158 lum/w it's over 170 lum/w. and they "should" run a little bit cooler since using less current.

with your 480 example is correct.. you can start with 1 and work up to 4.. but 4 is the max voltage on driver... boards 5 or 6 couldn't fit. why I originally planned using two hlg480h-c2100b for my 8 board build... but I like my parallel now lol
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks SDfoster, JGG.
I still get lost trying to make sense of all these data sheets and shit.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 am

I'm deciding now on a 6 QB 288 setup (that might be a mix of V1 and V2 boards, would that be an issue - I don't know) I'm trying to figure out now if that same setup I described above would be just as doable with the new inventronics programmable cc driver line (EUD.....DTA/DTL, I think).
if you run series, you can mix any voltage you want as long as it stays when in the drivers v range.

parallel on a cc+cv should "also" work.. I just wouldn't mix a v1 and v2 inline on one set parallel.. do two or three v1's inline then two or three v2's etc.

http://www.inventronics-co.com/product/eud-600sxxxdt/ the EUD-600S12ADT would be our hlg-600h-54b. Im not sure if that's the programmable one..