New POW R2 from Sonoff.

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

True, they're not great if you want something battery powered. Wi-Fi sure is easy though.

I've already got one of my boards with a temperature probe for my light's heatsink and a temperature/humidity sensor at canopy level. I wrote my own code with Arduino IDE even though the last time I tried C/C++ I didn't get much further than hello world. But my knowledge of Python was surprisingly helpful. They report back to Home Assistant with MQTT so I can monitor it all. I want to add VPD calculations as well. I've got pseudo code already, so it shouldn't take long.

I wired up my Sonoff 4ch Pro to the LED driver, pump, and intake and exhaust fans today. To properly integrate it with Home Assistant with MQTT, I'm going to flash it to Tasmota when my FTDI module arrives. Eventually I want the fans and lights to respond to the sensors. And at some point I may need a dehumidifier, so the humidity sensor could be used for that, too.

I have some cheap 12v fans coming from eBay, too, that I want to use on my light fixture for some active cooling. Mine don't have PWM, though, so not sure what I'll do exactly. They're always useful for computers or my greenhouse. :twisted:
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I am trying to put my new sonoff 4ch in action but I can't register it through the app!

I had no problem with 2 sonoff th10 but with the 4ch the app doesn't go further at "registering xxxxx"

I wanna use several light sensors and temp/humidity modules. Vpd monitoring is a must
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I’ve had a little trouble with some of mine. One of my TH10s refused to register, so I ordered another and put it aside, only to try again later with success.
I’m interested in your project- we’re all working towards similar things in interesting ways...
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:41 pm
I am trying to put my new sonoff 4ch in action but I can't register it through the app!

I had no problem with 2 sonoff th10 but with the 4ch the app doesn't go further at "registering xxxxx"

I wanna use several light sensors and temp/humidity modules. Vpd monitoring is a must
Hmm, that's strange. It might be a firmware problem, in which case flashing it to TASMOTA or ESPEasy might let you use it without a problem.
kunkgrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Just realized this POW R2 has no default power state when resuming from a power outage.
SO if you use this for controlling your lights, bware, they will stay off when power returns. Which sucks...
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I think they will add it. The POW v2 is missing other features that (I'm hoping) will make it into a subsequent firmware release. Power on state is one, operation notification, history, power data download, etc...
Last edited by Sativant on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

kunkgrow wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:43 pm
Just realized this POW R2 has no default power state when resuming from a power outage.
SO if you use this for controlling your lights, bware, they will stay off when power returns. Which sucks...
This is probably a firmware limitation, not hardware, so you could probably get around this with third-party firmware like TASMOTA. ;)
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Recently got my POW R2, and it's a nice replacement for mechanic/digital timers.
However, because of the blue diode it has to sit outside of the tent so it won't disturb the night cycle.

Not much of a controller compared to the Zigbee, but nice enough to replace a timer in a small op.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

For any Sonoffs inside my lab, I cover the lights with electrical tape. The blue light isn’t the best color, though, is it. Others are green.
I also started using my POW R2 as a timer. I got tired of the way my mechanical timers did not keep good time, so the cycle was always shifting a little bit.
garnier
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions: