Quantum board heatsink

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Budsie wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:42 am
It's the one with the 304 diodes
With that driver it will accept a voltage range of 114-229v. According to ledg's spreadsheet here
http://ledgardener.com/mw-cc-driver-ref/

Here is the data sheet on the 304 qb's from horticulture lighting group's website.
https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/pages/board-guide

With that driver you would have to do a series parallel combination with the wiring, as shown in this picture. 1400mA is max, so you would be running about 75% max.
Boards-wire3_large.png
Wiring like that, the driver would split the the 2100mA in between the parallel strings and run each board at 1050Ma. In turn the boards would pull 107.92v.

Each parallel string would pull the 107.92, because wiring parallel supplies the same voltage to each parallel string.

So 107.92v x 2 = 215.84. The data sheet also says to allow 2v tolerance for each board. 215.84 + 8 = 223.84. That voltage range is within the limits of the driver, so it should work.

The data also suggest to use aluminum plate or heatsink when running 50+ watts. You'll be running each board at 113w. An aluminum plate might not be enough for heatsinking. You'll probably have to invest in actual heatsinks, with some type of fan or fans on them. You might want to research how much heatsinking you need for 75% max power with these boards. Above 75% is not recommend on any qb's unless you have serious cooling.

If you have not ordered the driver yet, you could also go with the b version and an external potentiometer. You probably won't need the extra voltage and current with this driver qb setup, but if you want a little extra, go with the a version.
NothinYet is my nickname
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey man thanks for the info..... I'm going with the A version of the driver.. Do you think the 18 awg will be sufficient? I was thinking about 14 or 12awg
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

18 awg solid core is what is needed to plug into the strips (anything bigger than that will not fit, other people have used 16 awg, and it fit, but they had problems when trying to disconnect them. I wouldn't recommend it, and they might not even fit.) Make sure it's rated for 300v or better. 2 3 pole wagos would work good for the a setup, or other 3 pole connectors. If you get the b version, you would need 2 more 2 pole wagos or connectors.
NothinYet is my nickname
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the help, I ordered the wire. I ordered 3 pole wagos when I ordered the driver. Should all be here by Saturday and I will hopefully be wiring it up on Sunday.
ronaldmosely
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Realizing that things have changed since this post....my question now is what driver is best for running 4 of these boards? does