Aluminum Frame DIY - HLG QB 288

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hi,

So, I should've known how much of a pain it would be to find the supplies needed, where I live.
Nowhere sells anything under 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" angle aluminum. Even the online places I've checked. BTW - this is a Canadian post. ;)

I'm wanting to make several simple frames for some DIY "260w kits"; 2xQB 288 per frame, in the same orientation as an actual HLG 260w kit - but with a bit of space between the QB's (about 4-6").

The problem is 3/4" x 3/4" is going to cover up the the m3 mounting holes on the Slate 2 Singles, not to mention a small portion of the edge of the actual QB... so I don't see being able to use 3/4" x 3/4" angle.
I thought I could drill larger (1/4"?) holes through it at the points where I'd need to put an m3 through for mounting the boards to the heatsinks but there'd still be a huge portion of the angle that would cover the entire rest of the edge of the QB's - so that won't work.

1) Is 6061 grade required?
2) Is "Mill finish" acceptable for this purpose or do I "need" annodized or a better quality or something?
3) Would mounting the slates to the angle (of 3/4" x 3/4") a bit "in" from the actual inside corner of the angle (so as to treat it almost like it is 1/2" x 1/2") work? Or would that put some unwanted stress/torque on the sinks when hung? I don't really want to do this.
4) Any alternative (methods or materials) or suggestions? More than welcome, hah.
5) Do I need "end" pieces/rails? I.e.: Do I need to build a full rectangular frame or can I just essentially have two paralell rails and mount the two outside edges to the Slates?
6) Suggestions for online, canadian sites that ship and carry 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/8" angle aluminum if you know of any?

Thanks for any input!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I saw same thing with my slate 1's... I just let the m3's push on the 3/4 angle. there really wasn't much of it coming thru the heatsink so I didn't mind.

yeah your best bet would be slide the angle out a little so it's like the 1/2 distance.. it shouldn't stress the slate 2's.. or just counter sink a small bevel so the M3's don't touch.

6061 is used for the durability.. you could go lower quality.. but structural always better.. and no you don't need anodized.. I don't even think mine was milled/polished.. just regular angle

I would put ends on it just to help keeping it square. it would also help "if" the slates try to stress and twist.

since your doing just rails for 2 boards.. even steel would work.. it will be heavier but probably cheaper and easier to find..

cheers man 😁
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I found three 8' lengths of 1/2 x 1/2 on amazon.ca. Think I should use that then? It's not enough for me to make end rails... I can get 3/4 x 3/4 locally for cheaper...

Not sure what you mean exactly by letting the m3's push on the alum.

Edit: tried to change payment method on the order and they jacked the price up on my by nearly double. So now I've got nothin. Fuckin' ludicrous. So pissed right now. Fuckin' amazon.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I just let the little bit of m3 coming thru ( maybe 3-4 threads) the slate one touch the angle.. whether it's completely under or half way showing......
Attachments
IMG_20180613_0215547_rewind.jpg
IMG_20180613_0217001_rewind.jpg
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

JGG,
Ahh, thanks for the picture man. I thought it might be something like this - and the way you said it, after thinking on it I thought "he must've mounted the aluminum angle on top of the slates, not actually sitting/laying in the "L" of the angle, like most(?) people do, and as shown in LED-G's vid on frame building.

I checked out Home De Pot today and found they have some angle aluminum (satin....(annodized?)) there but in 1/2 x 1/2 and 3/4 x 3/4 it appears (measures) to be somewhere between 1/16th and 1/8th thick... Hmm. And not much cheaper than even the amazon listing I'd found.

I might have underestimated the cost of angle aluminum, and if a 10 foot length of schedule 40 pvc costs $10+ here, than maybe twice that for aluminum isn't "insane"... just "expensive" is all (for me, personally).
Princess auto told me $39.99 for an 8' length today, I almost choked. GTFOH! I'll hang every single slate 2 single individually and have 18ga wires hanging in the air like spider webs before I pay $40 a length for aluminum angle. Haha. :lol:
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Ewwww. I'm curious aboot a Chinese company I spoke with at a lighting expo. They made a nice frame for strip lights. Only one I've seen. I'll try to track it down cuz the engineering was great and my DIY project wants less metalworking and more sunning pretty ladies.
At least with QBS u can buy a rapidled substrate to make a Jolly Green Giant board of sexy.
The world needs better strip DIY solutions for mounting and wiring. Hurry up Chilled!
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Complex wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:58 am
JGG,
Ahh, thanks for the picture man. I thought it might be something like this - and the way you said it, after thinking on it I thought "he must've mounted the aluminum angle on top of the slates, not actually sitting/laying in the "L" of the angle, like most(?) people do, and as shown in LED-G's vid on frame building.

I checked out Home De Pot today and found they have some angle aluminum (satin....(annodized?)) there but in 1/2 x 1/2 and 3/4 x 3/4 it appears (measures) to be somewhere between 1/16th and 1/8th thick... Hmm. And not much cheaper than even the amazon listing I'd found.

I might have underestimated the cost of angle aluminum, and if a 10 foot length of schedule 40 pvc costs $10+ here, than maybe twice that for aluminum isn't "insane"... just "expensive" is all (for me, personally).
Princess auto told me $39.99 for an 8' length today, I almost choked. GTFOH! I'll hang every single slate 2 single individually and have 18ga wires hanging in the air like spider webs before I pay $40 a length for aluminum angle. Haha. :lol:
Check out:
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.c ... top_cat=60
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

The cheapest I’ve found 3/4” x 3/4” x 8’ angle is Home Depot for something like $18.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 pm
The cheapest I’ve found 3/4” x 3/4” x 8’ angle is Home Depot for something like $18.
It's $5.94 from onlinemetals.com

LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 pm
LEDG wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 pm
It's $5.94 from onlinemetals.com

We get gouged nicely in Canada though.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!