Aluminum Frame DIY - HLG QB 288

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:32 pm
Sativant wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 pm
LEDG wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 pm
The cheapest I’ve found 3/4” x 3/4” x 8’ angle is Home Depot for something like $18.
It's $5.94 from onlinemetals.com

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.c ... top_cat=60
We get gouged nicely in Canada though.
LED-G,
I think I just picked up a length of what you're talking about. "Satin finish"? Picked up one 1 x 1 x 8' (1/8th thick, I measured), and one 3/4 x 3/4 x 8' (1/16th...maayyybe just over that; 3/32nds?) About the same price you said.
I'll post a pic later on.

I also checked out a metal supplier and they have 20' lengths of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8th thick, ~$30 a length (+$5 to cut in half to fit in car. +minimum order of $100...so.. $120 for 60 feet.), $18 if you're a business; I'm not. The inside corner had a slight radius though, know what I mean, not a sharp 90*. Haha.

Decisions...

Sativant,
What LED-G said. Canada is fucked. :roll:

And thanks all for suggestions.
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:22 am
I just let the little bit of m3 coming thru ( maybe 3-4 threads) the slate one touch the angle.. whether it's completely under or half way showing......
I'm noticing now that with Slate 2 heatsinks (compared to your blue heatsinks), where the fins go all the way almost to the edge, it's gonna be a bit of a puzzle to mount through those corner holes with nuts & bolts because the fin is too close to the hole. You can't turn a nut, and the bolt head (for the bolts I have) is too big is too big as well (to put the bolt downward through the hole). So I'll bring it to a shop and see what I can figure out, probably just different nuts n bolts combination I guess, lol.
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Got some nuts and bolts, got some angle aluminum, got some work done, got one frame made and almost completed. Will post some pics when I can. Pretty happy with it for having used a hack saw. I might try and get someone to cut my lengths for me.

Edit: Post interupted by a friend with a miter saw to lend. :)
I'll go get a cheap blade, with thinner teeth, so I don't ruin his nice diablo blade. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

PS: That 3/4 x 3/4 x 8' lentgh satin angle at homedepot(can.) is not 1/8", it's 3/32.
And 3/4 x 3/4 aint gonna work for slate 2 heatsinks unless you space the edge of the slate 2 away from the inside corner of the angle by about 1/8", or .125", or 3.15mm. I used four nuts as spacers that were the perfect thickness.

Peace.