UV and Additional Spectrum Lighting

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I saw this comment in growmau5's most recent video.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.57 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
For those of us with pure white light, I think there is an opportunity to expand the spectrum using non COB or LM561C options.

I'd like to
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Ha, I thought I wrote more...

Anyways, I want to add a UV B Bulb, some 660nm leds, and some 730nm leds for the emerson effect and phytochrome switching based on growmau5's quantum canopy build. Each would be on a different channel, so I could control them independently. Have you all thought about adding additional spectrums to your builds?
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Absolutely. Adding photo/deep and far red mono LEDs is the next step - probably for 90% of us here.

I talked to Mike over at Rapid about putting together some XP-Es in the 620-720 nm range.

Just not sure if these are the best diodes for the job. Any thoughts on the best red LEDs?
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

bvolt wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:14 am
Absolutely. Adding photo/deep and far red mono LEDs is the next step - probably for 90% of us here.

I talked to Mike over at Rapid about putting together some XP-Es in the 620-720 nm range.

Just not sure if these are the best diodes for the job. Any thoughts on the best red LEDs?
Ive been looking at the Luxeon Sunplus LEDs, they are designed specifically for horticulture and actually report their PPF for each diode.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (67.37 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
You can find them at Steves Leds for 2 bucks, mounted on a star pcb.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (112.78 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

yes!!!😁 when I was first learning about diy and new leds I wanted ChilLED Tech because of the added uvb and 660's but couldn't afford it at the time so I went QB's.

while thinking about my qb build I was looking at different ways to add those..

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1901

I really liked those pucks and was planning to add 4 or so to a 6 qb build. but now we got more options I'm not sure how I want to add it. but I still want to add 660/730.. maybe the uvb but more the reds.
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:47 am
yes!!!😁 when I was first learning about diy and new leds I wanted ChilLED Tech because of the added uvb and 660's but couldn't afford it at the time so I went QB's.

while thinking about my qb build I was looking at different ways to add those..

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1901

I really liked those pucks and was planning to add 4 or so to a 6 qb build. but now we got more options I'm not sure how I want to add it. but I still want to add 660/730.. maybe the uvb but more the reds.
I liked the chilled tech stuff too, but its pricey compared to strips/quantum boards. That puck looks interesting, although it is priced accordingly. I like that it has multiple channels with the whole spectrum, but that is too much for my needs.

I took the plunge and ordered some mono leds this morning, the luxeon 660nm and 730nm reds on star pcbs, I'll probably put up a thing when I build it.
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

You know Cutter displays pricing in Australian dollars, right?
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

bvolt wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:45 am
You know Cutter displays pricing in Australian dollars, right?
I did see that, thank you.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (80.43 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

it would be cool if they did custom channels. I think they have 10 or so different ones, but none with 390-420/660/730. 450 the low end minus v8 with 1 420 diode. or its all reds.

I still don't know if I'm ready for soldering stars yet.. even the solderless ones.. lining them up. my big old clumsy self. 😁
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:06 am
it would be cool if they did custom channels. I think they have 10 or so different ones, but none with 390-420/660/730. 450 the low end minus v8 with 1 420 diode. or its all reds.

I still don't know if I'm ready for soldering stars yet.. even the solderless ones.. lining them up. my big old clumsy self. 😁
Im right there with you. If they had a UV, 660 and 730, Id be on it. I still think what they have is a little pricey, and youd have to actively cool it as well. For soldering stars together, if and when I run into trouble, I can always ask LedGardener for help.