Led technology for microgreen

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Ilvannozzi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I would like to create a mini-greenhouse measuring 30x30x30 cm. Which LED technology to use?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

That’s a tiny little space! I’d run a couple 1 foot Samsung strips in there since something like a Quantum Board would be overkill.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Doesnt HLG have the HLG 40, which is like a little strip of LM561C?

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... cts/hlg-40

Little pricey for a 30cm square. If it were me I'd put in a 100w equivalent 5000k CFL for like $5 and be done with it.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

a single cob ran soft (36vcob 700-1050ma = 25-35w) would be plenty of light for a cu ft. depending on how you build it you could use the heatsink on top of the box.. or the whole top of the box one piece of 1/8 metal.. it would be enough to cool 35 or less watts easy. depending on what you do heat sink wise it would be around 50$us.. citizen 1212 cob under 10 now.. 20-25 for a 40w dimmable driver then wire etc.. pin heat sink around 20$.... 1/8 metal (aluminum cookie sheet would work) 10$ maybe.

I like Ted's idea also but with the led bulbs from home depot with the plastic reflectors you can cut off 😁. they can sit flush with the top and you get more space.
oozing
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

30cm is almost impossible.. Check out this video by migro for their light:
https://youtu.be/P2bw4cgkh9c
It's a white light and it's faced off against a blurple light and a large CFL at growing lettuce. The CFL did not produce a dense enough product and it was smack on top of the lettuce. You obviously want full spectrum white light.
A COB is out of the question because the heat sink will rob you of precious height.
I don't know of a board currently out that's not overkill.
Either drive 1-2 strips softly or maybe go for a handful of monos.
I have never done a mono build so I don't know what to recommend.
Go for white monos (maybe a couple of reds to minimize stretch).
Driver will obviously be mounted remotely.
kunkgrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Ilvannozzi wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:33 pm
I would like to create a mini-greenhouse measuring 30x30x30 cm. Which LED technology to use?
https://www.spacebuckets.com/bruteLED
Timothypaul26
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ted wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:11 pm
Doesnt HLG have the HLG 40, which is like a little strip of LM561C?

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... cts/hlg-40

Little pricey for a 30cm square. If it were me I'd put in a 100w equivalent 5000k CFL for like $5 and be done with it.
I wouldn't want to risk the chance of releasing carcinogenic chemicals and or toxins onto my food, just my $0.02
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Are you specifically planning on growing microgreens, or also salads and herbs? Microgreens have very little need for light intensity, but there is a lot of material on how spectra affects flavor.

10w would probably give you a ppfd of 200, which is already plenty for herbs and salads, perhaps overkill for micro greens. Any 1foot strip would handle that, and two one foot strips would give pretty perfect light distribution (and negate need for heatsinks). Two one foot strips probably cost 8-20$ depending on what you choose. Bridgelux eb-gen 2 is a great and cheap choice, samsung is great but more pricey. If you want tunable spectrum you can look at bridgelux vesta strips or add strips of two different temperatures for tuning.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
atreum
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

You could try our Atreum 144.2 veg boards (https://atreumlighting.com/collections/ ... ung-lm301b). At full power, it's probably overkill for your 30cm x 30cm area (we generally recommend it for a ~60cm x 60cm area) but you can run the board at lower power and have the capacity to expand if you decide to.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If your not limited on budget, there is hardly a better solution then covering the entire canopy evenly with the most efficient leds on the market.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"