First diy setup, need opinions & help. Please.

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Simply2complex
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Osash78 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:04 am
Hey hello!

Yes, a lot depends on where are u from.
But at the end, u will be most happy and fewer problems with "original" HLG QBs.
Warranty, customer care, and quality are only coming with originals...
Got this lesson spending some money on different Chinese suppliers, I'm not telling is total crap but... if u consider all expenses like postage, taxes, etc... u will end with a relatively mediocre product, saving only a few bucks...
Anyway
One guy makes a specific calculation about power consumption between original and Chinese 288qb.
He comes out that, the difference is only that the original V1 QB drinking 2,6W less power x board...I'm not sure about this...
in my experience is not only this, Chinese boards are running a bit hotter than HLGs, and ofc a quality of manufacturing and materials are visibly different...and u will never be 100% what kind of diode is placed on.
Strip builds are nice too, but a lot of work and at the end not so cheap...
I will go with a lot of QBs or strips 3000k running them at around 65%-70%. No heat and best light coverage...
Just my opinion :D

Edit: a-ok I see, u are from the USA :D no-brainer than... ;D
Stay cool!

Sash
Thank you for your opinion
Simply2complex
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 am
I'm currently working on a new build:

led proto.png

The more strips you have, the less your system is heating. Which also means better efficiency & less need of expensive heatsinks. I'm planning on using a 600 watts power supply with between 15 & 20 F series strips.

Actually, on Digikey, 18 of those cost 390$ + 160$ for the 600w driver. I will just use one main aluminum profile to screw the strip. But no dedicated profile for each strip.

It should cost around 600$, run cold & compared to the QB, you got 2592 vs 1152 LM561C diodes for 300-400$ less.

And, of course, with more Diodes & better distribution, the PPFD / light uniformity is way better and the light penetration is also better than a classic quantum board with all the diodes placed at the same place.

This is probably the best option you'll have for this price.

My only three concern with this prototype I haven't tested for now are:

1) I haven't double checked the driver datasheet, it should work, but another driver guru can probably confirm it.
2) From the test I've done at home with my double row f series strips 600w/18 shouldn't produce a lot of heat & should not require any aluminum profiles (less than 55c?).
3) My main concern is about strip rigidity, I don't know how the 4 footer one-row strip will bend without any profile support if I screw them in the center like in the schema. If anyone can do the test for us, it could be great!
This looks like something I can definitely get behind. Spydrx type feel.
Simply2complex
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:36 am
I built 2 lights using EB2 strips driven at about 400ma, I am not using heatsinks. I only made an outer frame.
(it is ugly but it is a work in progress)

IMG_20180430_194902_HDR (1).jpg

Btw @OP I would make 2 or 4 different lights, not a big one.
If you are willing to do it yourself you can go cheaper and build a light with a better coverage with 4ft strips in a 4x4tent, better coverage and light distribution than a HLG product.

Did you see this post from boss LedG?
http://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-bu ... bridgelux/
So 2 separate fixtures inside a 4x4? I'm definitely willing to do the work myself. Yes I did take a look at that strip posting. Actually that's what prompted me to make my own post, theres more into wiring up multiple strips than there is to wiring 2-4 boards. And I'm definitely not solid on adding up amps and volts to match to drivers.
Simply2complex
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

sdfoster22 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:00 pm
Are you running co2? Anything above 35w sq/ft you need co2 to be able to use. Look at ledgardner's build examples for a 4x4. If You want closer to 700w look at the 5x5 builds. http://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-bu ... bridgelux/
No, I dont use c02 regularly. Theres no weight numbers I have to hit. I had no problems hitting at least 1.2-1.5gram a watt consistantly with 1000watts of hps. Obviously strain, and veg time dependent. I'll take a look at those 4x4 build examples again, thank you.
Simply2complex
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:56 pm

W per sq/ft isn't a good way to tell if co2 is limiting the plant development. The only good measurement is PPFD. And the W per sq/ft value isn't telling anything about the PPFD because of the multiples variables (Distance from the canopy, diodes used, etc)

Here is a probably good schema about the limiting factor of high PPFD lights:

VKdtmeI.jpg

You probably want to shot for a PPFD of 500-600 during flower without Co2. But yes, with a 500w driver and 4 F series strip, you already get an insane PPFD of 1000 quite everywhere in a 4x4 grow space at a canopy distance of 8 inches... So 700 true watts are probably way too much without co2... And if you want to run co2, with a PPFD of 1000+ you should probably aim for 1400 ppm...

Thank you for this. I'll shoot for 5-600 watts. So in your opinion a 500 watt driver and 4 F series strips would get me where I'm trying to go? I'd like to have the lights at their best efficiency, not driven to their max. Roughly 60-70% and not be pulling 10 amps?
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Simply2complex wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:57 pm
So 2 separate fixtures inside a 4x4? I'm definitely willing to do the work myself. Yes I did take a look at that strip posting. Actually that's what prompted me to make my own post, theres more into wiring up multiple strips than there is to wiring 2-4 boards. And I'm definitely not solid on adding up amps and volts to match to drivers.
I like strips 'cause of better light spread and modularity. Strips let you cover the whole space so why should you place strips only on the middle of the tent? You can use 4ft strips or 2ft strips but to build, hang and manage a aluminium frame 4x4 could be a problem.
Two or four separate fixtures could be more manageable and let you adjust the height to your needs, like a plant stretching more than another. If a light fails you still have the other one working.

We are here helping you with Volts and Amps, unfortunately I only worked with bridgelux strips, dunno about Samsung products. We should look at an efficiency graph and look at prices...
If we look at samsung F series there are both single and double row.

Do you have access to cheap aluminium profiles and heatsinks?
Is price a problem? If so, what is your budget?
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

He is in the usa. I highly re commend www.heatsinkusa.com

1" heatsink 4' long is $7.68
1" heatsink 2' long is $3.84

2" heatsink 4' long is $15.36
2" heatsink 2' long is $7.68

This is minus shipping. Not much more than regular 1x1 1/8 inch angle aluminum 8ft long. It's like $22 frim home depot where I'm from.
NothinYet is my nickname
Simply2complex
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 pm
Simply2complex wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:57 pm
I like strips 'cause of better light spread and modularity. Strips let you cover the whole space so why should you place strips only on the middle of the tent? You can use 4ft strips or 2ft strips but to build, hang and manage a aluminium frame 4x4 could be a problem.
Two or four separate fixtures could be more manageable and let you adjust the height to your needs, like a plant stretching more than another. If a light fails you still have the other one working.

We are here helping you with Volts and Amps, unfortunately I only worked with bridgelux strips, dunno about Samsung products. We should look at an efficiency graph and look at prices...
If we look at samsung F series there are both single and double row.

Do you have access to cheap aluminium profiles and heatsinks?
Is price a problem? If so, what is your budget?
I can grab heatsinks that's no issue. I'd like to stay under the price of a hlg-600h kit from growers light.
Simply2complex
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

sdfoster22 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:00 pm
He is in the usa. I highly re commend www.heatsinkusa.com

1" heatsink 4' long is $7.68
1" heatsink 2' long is $3.84

2" heatsink 4' long is $15.36
2" heatsink 2' long is $7.68

This is minus shipping. Not much more than regular 1x1 1/8 inch angle aluminum 8ft long. It's like $22 frim home depot where I'm from.
Are they necessary? How hot do these led strips get? Can I just mount the strips to steel/aluminum strips? Samsung LT-FB24B 4′ Strips are sold out everywhere until the 19th. Is it feasible to run 2 288 qb's along with lets say (4) 2ft strips? 1 qb and 2 strips per 2x2 fixture? I like the idea of being able to adjust height without adjusting the whole fixture.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

You should at least use aluminium angle. The cooler you run the strips, the more effecient they run, and the more usable light (less heat, and more usable photons) you have. I would not use steel.

Arrow has 15 of the 4' EB gen 2's, and 172 of the 2' EB gen 2's both 3000k. Just make sure you get the ones with the B3 on the end. The A3 is gen one.

You can do the qb strip mix, but you'll have to find a driver for each or both qb's, and strips. So 2-4 drivers.
NothinYet is my nickname