ELG vs HLG

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Did you read the part that said "don't hold me to it". Your right its the other drivers and other electrical components that get affected but LED's are included in the other electrical equipment even if they are filtered by the other driver.

In this oversimplification of one driver just effecting the other (really would be simulataneous), THD from first driver will cause second driver to filter within its maximum limits continuously and vary light output continuously. Filters, filter but don't filter everything. Compare this to having no THD on second driver from first - no light fluctuation at least from THD.

It doesn't matter what type of equipment that is run, the more speed up's and slow down's present in a system the less efficient it is. To get the same output you need to run it harder which shorten's lifespan. This is true for most everything.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thanks, sorry I pushed you on that. I edited my previous post. :)

I get what you're saying, but what does a diode care? I would love to know!

Edited to add;

Have you ever looked at the output of a SMPS? I have looked at many, and it is NOT pretty!
Last edited by ATPinMotion on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Run 'em soft
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

A diode fortunately for us does what it's told. I've never looked at the output of a smps, I can only imagine.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
TPTB73
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:52 pm
For me the main difference between ELG and HLG is that ELG drivers are dimmable to off.
Really? That's odd because if you look at the datasheet below, in the "current adj. range" section, it says it only reduces it by 50%. Have you experienced different?

https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product ... B19F590BD1
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Page 4, dimming feature.
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

TPTB73 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:01 pm
ATPinMotion wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:52 pm
For me the main difference between ELG and HLG is that ELG drivers are dimmable to off.
Really? That's odd because if you look at the datasheet below, in the "current adj. range" section, it says it only reduces it by 50%. Have you experienced different?

https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product ... B19F590BD1
You are looking at the -A driver

I am talking about the -B driver

So technically we are both correct ;)
Run 'em soft
LedMe101
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

HI - sorry to revive an old thread, but I've literally just made an account to ask about this -

I have the 2 x ELG-240-48a powering 2 x 240w QB's.

I currently have them dimmed so that they are pulling around 270 total as they are being used over seedlings. I've been told an another forum that I should NOT be dimming these, as they don't have a 'true dimmer', and that adjusting the dimming via the 'Lo adj' and 'Vo adj' is actually dangerous and will blow my LED's?

Each driver is plugged in to a board, and then both those power supplies connect together into one plug, which I have plugged in my watt meter, and I've adjusted both the 'vo' and 'lo' on both drivers until it shows they are pulling 270w together, and both boards look roughly the same brightness. Is there a better way to do this? Should I be measuring current too? If I want to do that, I assume I need a multimeter? Do I need to take the driver apart to measure current or can it be done simply?

Also, if I crank but the 'lo' and 'vo' on both drivers, I can see it's pulling 600w. I'm guessing I will damage the boards if I leave it like this?

Thank you so much for your help.
Kiwi_Jezza
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

You'll need to measure both voltage and current on the DC side in order to know if you're putting your QB's at risk.

Its well known that 'A type' Meanwells deliver higher output than they are rated.

Personally; I'm cheap so use ELG's over HLG's.

The Io/Vo adjustment is on the underside of the driver which can we annoying.

My 2c.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

LedMe101 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:59 pm
I've been told an another forum that I should NOT be dimming these, as they don't have a 'true dimmer', and that adjusting the dimming via the 'Lo adj' and 'Vo adj' is actually dangerous and will blow my LED's?
Sounds like baloney to me. Dimming thru Io is how they're designed.