Lens material

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Ambient
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:11 am
I test these things a fair bit and 92% is common. It's usually the German plastic from Bayer, I think it was Mitsubishi that has a few good ones too. Glass is the best, I know there is particular types of glass available that transmit 96% then there is a special anti reflective coating they add to the glass and it gets to 98%. Distance from where the leds are positioned to the cover also makes a big difference. As the light that doesn't transmit is mostly reflected the closer the LED's to the cover the more transmission will occur. The other good thing about glass is you can clean it properly, plastics scratch easy. That black dog company sure knows how to charge for a light.
Thanks for all the feedback.

I'll continue my search for something that doesn't block UV and that's also reasonably priced. I can deal w/ 88-92% of light being blocked, but would rather not lose out on the low end of the spectrum (UVC/UVB/UVA). I don't even need acrylic, just a flimsy piece of paper sized plastic thing would suffice. It just needs to bend and not melt if it's needed to be very close to the LEDs in order to not cause more light lose due to reflection.

I used that link just as a reference for anyone interested in UV affects on marijuana (just dug it up real quick in google). I can't fathom paying those prices for the measly grow-op that I'm doing. My setup for 6x 48" bridgelux strips + 240h meanwell driver is around $150-180 and will net me around 250watts. Not taking out a mortgage for theirs :lol: .
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Ambient wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:10 am

As long as it's working, but I don't see how opaque panels transmit 92% of light. The few I see are rated @ 45-69% of LT. That's from TAPPLASTICS. Clear panels w/ no extra additives are 88-92% of LT. This is only because of building standards they have to meet which stipulates that they need to block UV to a certain extent.
Whoops you are right, it's actually only 83% in my case.

The one with 92% is this one which also is slightly opaque due to the satin finish but is labeled as transparent/crystal.