New member new build

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

sleeper wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:54 pm
Will it be okay wiring 12 strips in series or cause voltage drop?
so i was going to go with the 24v strips and use the c1050 (311v max) but then i checked and the sockets here are rated for max 240v?
I've read all the fundamentals but still need some guidance please
edit: okay so what do you think about 12 strips 24v, driver 320H-c2100. wire 6 series 2 parallel?
is this more safe?
If your referring the 240v max to the wall socket. You must be on 240. The driver will draw the from the 240v and your max amps, from the ac circuit through the breaker it is connected to, and convert that power to dc volts, and amps. If the driver needs more than 240v it draws more amps for the total watts, converts those watts to what the driver needs to output in volts and amps.

Ledg is right about all those being in parallel in that drawing. To wire 6 series and 2 parallel sides, you would have to follow these steps.

1. Take a + lead from the driver

2. Connect it to the + connector of the 1st strip

3. Connect the - to the + of the second strip.

4. Repeat for the 3rd, 4th, and, 5th strip.

5. Once you wire the - of the 5th strip to the + of the 6th strip, run the - of the 6th strip and run it to the - lead on the driver.

6. Repeat steps 1-5 for two sets of 6 strips in series.

Here as a good writeup ledg did on series, parallel, and a combo of series parallel wiring.
http://ledgardener.com/wiring-led-cobs/

Here is a good diagram showing series parallel wiring using cobs from that article. The concept is the same for strips.
series-parallel.png
series-parallel.png (8.9 KiB) Viewed 973 times
That is the correct wiring. I don't know if this will work for your build, as I do not know the specs for your strips. DO NOT take this as a recommendation for wiring those strips to the driver. If you can give me some detailed specs on your strips, I can help you find the correct driver.

I might be able to help you source some strips that have better documentation on specs and driver matching. If You give me info on where you live, where you can import from without paying tons of fees, I can maybe help you source some good products that are proven to work.
NothinYet is my nickname
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

sleeper wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:55 pm
think ur right i should be starting with something simple, i thought about boards but figured with strips I can mix spectrum and get a better light spread.
I did mean the wall socket AC voltage but thanks to futuregrow I understand i was wrong now and the driver can generate more v than the wall outlet.
sorry for the bad wiring diagram, i think this is closer to what i meant to do for 6s 2p ?
Mixing spectrums is really useless. You can use 3000k-4000k successfully from start to finish. I've seen plenty of grows in that spectrum range with high quality leds have great results both for veg and flower. Just check out some of the grows on riu. Thedawg uses 4000k for flower and has awesome looking buds. Building desperate veg/flower lights is also useless if you veg and flower in the same spot.

The only reason to use two different spectrums is if you built 2 separate lights and have a separate veg/flower area.
NothinYet is my nickname
sleeper
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey thank you very much for helping me make sense of this.
I read most of LEDG great articles before coming here to ask questions, but it was still too complex for me.
the strips are LT-H562D, 48 lm561c each array 24v.
so the second wiring diagram is okay if im using hlg-320h-c2100?

Noted about the color spectrum i will read more about it, from what i understand you need 2700k to 3500k for flowering?
I watched Ledg video about 80cri and 90cri side by side grow very interesting.
Last edited by sleeper on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

What size grow space do you have?
Is it open?
Reflective walls?
Are you running co2?
Is it a sealed environment?
NothinYet is my nickname
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Is there a reason you chose the H series strips over the F series strips? F series gives more diodes per strip. More bang for the buck with f series. Or the bridgelux eb gen 2's work well also. I can give you an h series build, f series build, and an eb gen 2 build.
NothinYet is my nickname
sleeper
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

im ordering from alibaba manufacturer, they have led array modules based on samsung H series.
do you think its possible to use a 240W driver? i want to drive max 75% as suggested.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I see. Since you told me in the pm You are dealing with 5 ft/sq with reflective walls you probably won't need that much power. For that sized space you only need about 150-180w max. That's roughly 30-35w ft/sq. You'll not need more than that since you don't run c02. I'll set up a build for you using the h series strips and the correct driver. If you think you can source and solder some inline 1a fuses to each strip, I might be able to give you a build that would work with the 185h driver you already have. Those strips have a max of 1.2a and wiring constant current drivers in a parallel series wiring can overload those strips if something goes wrong and create thermal runaway. I would not wire the strips to the driver that way without the correct fuses. I can see what I can come up with if this still interests you. Or I can show you the correct driver to purchase for these strips.

I think a better idea if you don't want to buy a new driver, you can use 185h driver you currently have with the F series strips. That driver puts out 1.4A, which is about 75% of the f series gen 3 2ft strips. The max current on those is 1.8A.

Can you order from digikey? If you are in the USA, the second option would be the best option. If not in USA the second option might still be the better option if import taxes are cheaper than buying a whole new driver.

Let me know which build you would like me to do, and I'll work it up for you. = D
NothinYet is my nickname
sleeper
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

okay i will only need 30-35w per sq ft? i read somewhere else that it should be closer to 50w so good to know.
about the driver i can replace it no problem, it will be more expensive ordering F series from digikey here(not in US).

what do you think about using the 320H-C1050 and wire them all in series is this the best way to go for me?
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

The hlg-320h-c1750 gets awful close to 300v if you wire series parallel. Let me work up a CV driver build.

*just seen you said c1050* let me do some math real fast to check that driver lol.

That puts in up to 300v or more with the c1050. Let me see.
NothinYet is my nickname
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

The best option for 12 strips I see for your space would be the hlg-240h-24b for dimming, with a 100kohm linear taper potentiometer. Wire all 12 strips in parallel like you posted in the link below. This would give you approximately 200-220w max

The best option I see is 10 strips run by an hlg-185h-24b with the same pot, all wired in parallel like the diagram you posted here.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1120&start=10#p7799

That should give you approximately 160-180w. That would be perfect for a 5 ft/sq space.
NothinYet is my nickname