Wire in series or parallel.

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Cmm2526
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

So I have a hlg 240h-24a. I have seen that most times using cv drivers you should wire in parallel. I also see that many time people wire them in a combo of series/parallel. I wanted to run 9 or 10 Samsung f series strips. Would I be able to just wire these in series with this driver?
Last edited by Cmm2526 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

You would have to do parallel. The f series are 20 something volts. If you try to wire two f series strips in series it will try to pull 40 something volts.
NothinYet is my nickname
H0m3B0Y
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Cmm2526 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:40 pm
So I have a hlg 240h-24a. I have seen that most times using cv drivers you should wire in parallel. I also see that many time people wire them in a combo of series/parallel. I wanted to run 9 or 10 Samsung f series strips. Would I be able to just wire these in series with this driver?
You should really read up on ohms law. just the most basic basic stuff. Once you can figure out how current and voltage stack in serial and parallel circuits, you will know why HLG-240H-24A will not be able to drive those trips in series.

In theory you could use CV driver for series, but CV drivers have high currents and low voltage (check datasheets). There is not enough voltage for strips in series, most likely your grow room would be dark (or strips would burn out, I'm not 100% sure on this one :?: ).

CC drivers will have low current and high voltage (check datasheets). They would not be able to drive strips in parallel since they lack current. Your grow room would be dark. Or maybe burn out the strips as well, but my vote goes to dark room. :)