Using Constant Current Drivers with Parallel LED Strips

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
TheEarlyWorm
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi everyone-

I'm interested in making some cheap veg lights for layers of an unused rack in my garage. I've got some leftover 8020 frame material and some wire connectors, etc from my first DIY light (180W of EB2) and want to make use of it on the cheap.

After doing some research (mostly here) I've landed on the 75W Thomas research Products CC LED driver with Bridgelux Vesta 2ft strips.

My plan is to wire up both (2) channels of 2 Vesta strips, (4 channels total) in parallel to that driver which in theory would drive each channel at 750ma, within max spec of 1A.

Now I've read some on using Constant Current drivers with Parallel circuits and the advice ranges form using resistors so as to not overdrive the LEDs when one goes out to simply not doing it at all because its a bad idea. I was hoping you guys had some more concrete advice.

Heres my diagram from an LED planning site.

Is this a good plan? Is a 1ohm resistor actually what I should be shooting for? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by TheEarlyWorm on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

You could always wire inline fuses. I looked into it some, but it's complicated to find the right dc fuses sometimes.
NothinYet is my nickname
TheEarlyWorm
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I think the theory behind the resistors is that, as the resistance of the LEDs is effectively 0, having equal resistors in series with each of the LEDS in a parallel circuit balances the amperage load. Not sure if what i'm saying makes sense or if a 1 ohm resistor would be enough.

Fuses seem like they also should work!
TheEarlyWorm
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Nixed all of this and went with meanwell LRS drivers and wired in parallel.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

LOL

I have 4 TRP 75w drivers feeding 8 560mm vestas, so 2 strips (4 channels) per driver.

It's certainly working well, but needs the cooling to be done well. I didn't have appropriate materials at hand, so I used a copper casket sealant spray to attach to heatsinks. It didn't stick well enough, so I had to go back and add some superglue. Some would still unattach, and they get pretty damn hot. Nothing blew even though some strips ran a few weeks without a heatsink. Pretty impressed.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"