Fancy Schmancy DIY LM561C Extras

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
microgroaway
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

This is my first post here. I am in love with the idea of these LED strips. I posted some questions over on /r/microgrowery, but I think this might be the better place to post for these builds.

I am in the process of getting things together to build my new light (10- LT-H562D Strips, in parallel, HLG-185H-24A, in a 36x20 tent), and I want it to have a little extra, so I want to install an in-line timer, and an on/off switch. Would something like this work for the timer, with a regular light switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Enerlites-Digita ... 1C1QP&th=1

So I would go from the plug--->light switch--->timer--->driver. The light switch would really just be for emergency's and would be left on perpetually.

Maybe this is a bad idea. I really don't know, as I am new at this. Thanks
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

microgroaway wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:50 am
This is my first post here. I am in love with the idea of these LED strips. I posted some questions over on /r/microgrowery, but I think this might be the better place to post for these builds.

I am in the process of getting things together to build my new light (10- LT-H562D Strips, in parallel, HLG-185H-24A, in a 36x20 tent), and I want it to have a little extra, so I want to install an in-line timer, and an on/off switch. Would something like this work for the timer, with a regular light switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Enerlites-Digita ... 1C1QP&th=1

So I would go from the plug--->light switch--->timer--->driver. The light switch would really just be for emergency's and would be left on perpetually.

Maybe this is a bad idea. I really don't know, as I am new at this. Thanks
Thanks for joining, lot of info here for this type of build.

That would work...

If you wanted to get fancy, get the "B" version of the Driver and a PWM controller...
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (180.76 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Ehhhh, thanks for registering!

For my tent, I use this timer. It has a button for on/off which you can use to toggle the lights if need be.

For your light switch, do you already have a switch that controls the circuit that your outlet is on?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
microgroaway
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ted wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:36 am
Thanks for joining, lot of info here for this type of build.

That would work...

If you wanted to get fancy, get the "B" version of the Driver and a PWM controller...
Thanks Ted. Its a real honor talking to you. Love the movies. Is Giovani Ribisi really that creepy?

OK that might be a little too fancy, but I like it a lot. Just can't justify $90 on a timer. I think I'm just gonna mount a junction box, put a plate cover on it, and call it a day. I got a bunch of these H562Ds on Alibaba for $6 each, delivered. Not bad and I don't think I should blow my savings on a timer.

I thought about the B driver, but I don't think I will be adjusting the brightness after I get it dialed in. I guess this build is a little less fancy, and a little more schmancy. Thanks again for the reply.
microgroaway
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

admin wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:43 am
Ehhhh, thanks for registering!

For my tent, I use this timer. It has a button for on/off which you can use to toggle the lights if need be.

For your light switch, do you already have a switch that controls the circuit that your outlet is on?
I was going to go with a plug-in style timer, but I'm trying to keep everything on the light, so I figured, why not just hard-wire it. As for the light switch on the wall, that outlet does not have one. I suppose I could install one, but again, why not just put it on the frame? I like your thinking though. I'm always trying to work smarter, not harder.

And thanks for the advice over on /r/mg
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

My pleasure. So to get this straight, are you thinking of running AC power up to your frame? How would this tie into power at the wall?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Snapples
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Your setup sounds solid, post pics when you can!
microgroaway
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

admin wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:49 pm
My pleasure. So to get this straight, are you thinking of running AC power up to your frame? How would this tie into power at the wall?
Sorry I haven't logged in in a couple weeks. I was going to put the light switch and timer on the AC side of the driver. So the light switch and timer would be mounted to the frame in a junction box. The plug would be wired directly to the light switch. Again, I don't even know if that would work, but my VERY limited understanding of electricity tells me that it would work. Please set me straight if I'm wrong.

Edit: Because I'm still not sure that it's clear, I am going to wire the plug directly to the light switch. Then go from the switch to the timer, then the timer to the AC IN on the driver.