Light for a small veg cupboard.

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
griffmonkey
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi Ledheads, just hanging on one of the higher branches in my tree, pondering all the joy that leds are going to bring from here on in. I have never used leds before and I am a cockney green monkey with a small brain so please help me fill it with good stuff :) I have a small veg cupboard that I grow 6 little girls in 3l pots until switching to flowering room/pots. Dims are lwh 80 x 50 x 168cms. Height is the only issue, however I don't grow too big before flowering. Nevertheless narrower components such as heat sinks are a worthwhile consideration thinking ahead.
Currently have a 300w dual spec CFL in there, which does ok but far from ideal. Which is why I want to update to leds. Want the best possible start for my little monkeys! And I'm going to use the led purely for vegging. Given this information what would you suggest in terms of the specific cob requirements? How many and which type would you suggest? Thanks for swinging by and checking out my tree :)
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

welcome to the forum!! With me being a quantum board guy I would say https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... -board-kit

or duel https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... cts/hlg-65

I use the 135w kit with a 4000k board over a 36" x 16" ( 91cm x 40cm) geo pot for vegging my mother's.. they absolutely love it!! you could get away with using the 105w version in that space also.

the 65watt qb120 kits are also great for that space.. run duel drivers or even run a second board with one driver.... they are super thin and don't need a heat sink.. so that would help with limited height....I haven't used one of those yet because they came out with them after I got my 135w kit for a veg light 😁
griffmonkey
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey JGG, very pleased you popped over to hang out. Thanks for the info too. Until your post I had not even heard of quantum boards before. How close / far away do they need to be from the little'uns? The 135w kit looks particularly interesting, a relatively simple assembly, thin and perfect for my needs as far as I can tell. HLG sold out at the moment tho, but def on my shortlist in terms of a way forward. Thanks for help! Swing by anytime buddy but not on the branches above mine, not sure they're ready for Giant monkeys yet :)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I’ll second the QB recommendation. I’ve played with a bunch of them and have nothing but good things to say about them and HLG’s customer service.

I feel as though I need to throw in a monkey word here somewhere. You’d have to be bananas to go COB over QB. I got nothin.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
griffmonkey
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

[quote=admin post_id=1613 time=1508634990 user_id=2

I feel as though I need to throw in a monkey word here somewhere. You’d have to be bananas to go COB over QB. I got nothin.
[/quote]

Hey fella, I blimin' love bananas ! Thanks for throwing one over :)
And yup, I've seen the light! Being emitted by a quantum board of luminous beauty. Just gotta wait for the equally bright folks over at HLG to replenish their stock and my tree will be lit up like Christmas :)

Thanks for hanging!
GardenGuy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

i have a 288qb on hlg-120-54a in a 70x50x80h and it rocks. fully versatile.
organic
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

GardenGuy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 pm
i have a 288qb on hlg-120-54a in a 70x50x80h and it rocks. fully versatile.
Are you able to fully adjust the driver to go from 0-100%? Seems great light setup for a great price.
GardenGuy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

excuse me it's hlg-100-54h and it goes from 25w to 116w. measures are in cm not inches. a bit expensive setup for a small veg like mine, but fully efficient and propably for 2 lifetimes! :D i love those pcbs.
organic