New to DIY builds Please help have a few questions !

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Drew
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi all,
I have been reading a lot on building my own cob light an for the most part I think I can build it. I've tried looking for DIY builds that worked well with SOG grows an found nothing. Here's a Little Info. on the way I'm gonna grow before I ask questions. Well I wanna do a SOG in a vertical farm grow style, I will have 2 - 3x3 trays on first row an 2 - 3x3 trays on top row. Each row will have a rough height of 3 feet 8-10 inches high but we can just say for now 3.5 feet high, That will be from bottom of tray to the next row then same for top row trays to ceiling. I will be doing a real SOG that has a lot of plants per tray.

I'm not sure how many cobs I should use per 3x3 tray an at what current should I use to drive the cob's like Meanwell HLG-700mA or 1050mA etc. ? Don't want to burn plants os I would guess it be better to run the cob's at a lower watt per cob. I want to make it more uniform in lighting as well. An since I'm doing SOG should I use the Cree cxb3590's , cxa3070's , Vero 29 or citizen etc. since I need more cob's per 3x3 I can get one's that are cheaper an still get same effect since light's are not for tall plants? I can make the LED builds be stationary above the 3x3's an use a potentiometer or keep them a certain height above plants then raise them as they get taller? Please any help on what would be best for this type of build would be great an if you need more Info. please just ask an I'll get right back you on it. Thanks for your time !!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

6 COBs per 3x3 running at 1400mA would be pretty sweet. Citizen CLU048-1212 is a great option because they’re like $12 each. You could drive each tray with an HLG-320H-C1400.

Another option is to go the Quantum Board route and do something like a 260W kit per 3x3. If you can get your hands on these boards, they are the way to go.

Just get the “B” version of whatever driver you end up with and use a potentiometer to dim as necessary.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Fulifu
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello ... I also have a few questions. Long time grower using HPS lights ready to step up to an LED.
I want to use the CLU048-1212 Gen 6 3500K 80CRI driven at 1400MA. Looking at using 4 of them, one at
each corner of the frame, in the center of the frame I want to place the reds, blues, etc. LED suggested
using "Just get the “B” version of whatever driver you end up with and use a potentiometer to dim as necessary."

My question why would I want to dim the 1212's

Thanks
Sinfor
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Fulifu wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:50 pm
My question why would I want to dim the 1212's
Thanks
You don't need all the power when vegging.