5x5 light build advice

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Canna_Route802
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey everyone Canna_Route802 here! I just registered on the forum after several months of research and scrolling through the forum here.

So what I'm looking to do is build an led that is as efficient as possible but also as cheap as I can and as easy as I can... sounds like everyone's dream right lol ?

A brief history on what leds I've used...

I have put together the HLG qb288 v2 260 watt kit and pulled 14.5 oz of superb exotic genetics 3 in the pink!!

I then built a 300 watt HLG qb132 v2 grow light I never got the chance to flower under it but veg was amazing !!

I now want to build an led for my 5x5 grow tent. I would like to get around 30-35 watts but have the option to hit 40 if I decide to run co2!

I've looked into the eb gen 2 strips the 4 foot strips are $8.10 right now on digi key for the 3500k. Ik that the eb gen 3 strips are out now but I can't find them anywhere!! And I'm sure they are much more expensive...

If I got 30 4 foot eb gen 2 strips I could run them at 700MA which would be about 800 watts right ? I'm a noob that reads alot lol... would I need heatsinks at 700ma ? Could I just use ⅛ inch aluminum flat bar ?

If I used the hlg qb132 boards I could use 16 boards running at 50 watts each for 800 watts. And then 2 hlg-480H-36 drivers. Hlg website says the QB132 v2 ran at 50 watts each board has an efficiency of about 2.77 μmoles according to them...

So my question Is can I build a grow light that will be more efficient than 16 qb132's for about the same price if not cheaper ?

I can build a 16 board qb132 v2 led for about $850-$900 usd

Thank you everyone for your help
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Cutter has modules with the new XPG-3 that are in the 3.8-4.1umoles per watt range, so surely it would not be hard to make something more efficient.
Were about to try out a blurple with a little softly driven white to see what the dank will look like compared to 80cri. I think we can hit efficiency figures way over 3.0, but the spectrum is quite different.

In pure white cutter has nichia modules that put out 220lm/w which is 10% above the EB gen3's, but they are so much more expensive that I'm not sure if it would not be better to buy a shit ton of EB's and drive then soft. Probably result in even better efficiency.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"