5000k, 4000k or 3000k spectrums?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
kdt15
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

kind of lost here but ive read that 3000k is best for flower. is this true? not sure of pros/cons of 3000 and 5000.

if im making my own lights, should i just g et some 5000k and some 3000k and separate them, moving my plants to whichever is appropriate ?

or is it better to mix some 5000 and 3000 together and just use that setup for veg+flower with no movement/adjustments?
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

3000K has plenty blue for full cycle, and if you want to make veg/flower rooms, I suggest getting no higher CCT than 4000K in the veg room, then you can still use it for flowering if you need to ;)
Not that 5000K won't flower things, lower CCT is just better for that and still super for vegging.
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I'm a big fan of using a single spectrum for veg and flower. You'd be surprised at how well 3000k will veg. 3500k is also a great all-purpose spectrum. Hell, even 4000k has shown great results as a start-to-finish spectrum. I don't see the value in spending money on a different setup for veg. With a flower-friendly spectrum that will veg like a champ, you have versatility; any light or grow space can be purposed for whatever you need at the time, rather than being locked into one thing.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Any light would do both veg and flower. You can get perfectly good results with any CCT you go for if everything else is right. Dialing in ambient temperature and humidity, ventilation, water pH and nute concentration are more significant for a successful grow.

The advantage of of 5000K for veg is that your get tighter internodes, which gives you a more balanced distribution of light over the colas later. 3000K for flower will be be a bit more efficient, when counting grams-per-watt. A mid-way 3500-4000K start-to-finish is a good balance of the two.

Another thing to look at is the CRI. There's some anecdotal experience (also shared on the blog) that while 90CRI has a lower efficacy (lumens-per-watt) it beats 80CRI in overall efficiency (gram-per-watt). Availability can be an issue, don't worry about this too much either.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

like everyone else has been saying.. 3000k for flowering 4000k for vegging are the most common used... I run 3500k in my tent for both and love it!! atm I'm even flowering out my mother plants being under a 4000k and a 5000k.. they will work.. just the 3500k look bigger with more hairs so far.
kdt15
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

PurpleGunRack wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:04 pm
3000K has plenty blue for full cycle, and if you want to make veg/flower rooms, I suggest getting no higher CCT than 4000K in the veg room, then you can still use it for flowering if you need to ;)
Not that 5000K won't flower things, lower CCT is just better for that and still super for vegging.
thanks! is it true that for veg, it doesnt matter much since itll affect the plant insignificantly with respect to paying to create a full separate setup just for veg? and is there signficant diffferences between 3000k and 4000k?
kdt15
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 pm
like everyone else has been saying.. 3000k for flowering 4000k for vegging are the most common used... I run 3500k in my tent for both and love it!! atm I'm even flowering out my mother plants being under a 4000k and a 5000k.. they will work.. just the 3500k look bigger with more hairs so far.
thanks jolly! is there a consensus on how the CCT differences will affect the plant? like is it known and expected that 3500k for flowering will cause bigger and hairier plants? is there something physically unique after doing a 4000k or 5000k for flowering? (heard many things like tighter spirals, more crystals, size, hairiness, but not sure which one is correlated with and if something is good for bad (eg: more crystals not always better / taste will be off?)?)

will definitely consider 3000 3500 and 4000 more than 5000 now
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I choose 3500k mainly from looking at the spectrum curves 😄 had similar red as 3000k but more of a blue spike.. similar to 4000k... along with my way of thinking... if 3000k is used for flower because of the red.. and 4000k for veg with the blue... why not go in the middle and have both!! since I use tent for both veg n flower.

I would say the general consensus on CCT still falls back on the good old red light blue light... redder hue for flower.. bluer for veg.. but with the fall of prohibition in some states and people being able to try/test stuff and share it openly we are getting a better clue.. like trying the Emerson effect with 660/730nm to enhance metabolic rates.. or putting them to sleep faster with just the 730nm as lights go out for 10-15mins extra. one I was wondering about is blue light enhancing Terpene profiles.. Will having more blue( 450nm range) enhance the taste and smells? hence another reason I went 3500k...

it's mainly try it out and see what happens. like why I am flowering under the 4000/5000k lights... I want to see what is different. I'm sure strain plays a major part in it also...
Rvrpaddlr
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I built a COB light fixture using five 3500k citizen 1212's. I had been using 2 store bought LED lights with more watts, but since I installed the new COB's, the 3500 are my favorite. Plus I do not have that funny red color coming from my space! Having a few grows under my belt, I am sold on the 3500.
kdt15
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Rvrpaddlr wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 pm
I built a COB light fixture using five 3500k citizen 1212's. I had been using 2 store bought LED lights with more watts, but since I installed the new COB's, the 3500 are my favorite. Plus I do not have that funny red color coming from my space! Having a few grows under my belt, I am sold on the 3500.
awesome! what other temps have you tested and thoughtso n those? im still trying to buy my first set of lights and am doing more research on this.