Samsung F-Series LT-F564B 2′ LED Strip Build – 3’x3′

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Opa Legalize
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

High Guys....
My first build: Samsung F-Series LT-F564B 2′ LED Strip Build – 3’x3′

Being a newbee at this....
The build itself looks simple enough, but I don't have a clue how you exactly tune the whole setup with that potentiometer so it all runs on maximum effienciency...

Anybody?

Thanks in advance and green greetings from the Netherlands
Opa Legalize
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

That's what I'm planning to build. I used the excellent strip builder tool on this site to get this:
Strip Build 6x LT-F564B.jpg
Strip Build 6x LT-F564B.jpg (78.06 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

welcome to the forum 😁

are you referring to LG's diy build blog I listed here?

3’x3′ Grow Space Builds
We’ll want about 270 watts of power for a 3’x3′.

Show less...
Samsung F-Series LT-F564B 2′ LED Strip Build – 3’x3′
Parts list:
5x Samsung LT-F564B 2′ Strips ($133)

1x Mean Well HLG-320H-48B Driver ($93)

1x 100K Ohm Potentiometer for Dimming ($7)

1x Resistor for Potentiometer ($6) Note- resistor is only required if your potentiometer measures less than its rated resistance. Use a resistor in series to bring the pot up to its rated resistance.

~10 Feet of 2″ Heat Sink ($40) Note – this length is an estimate only… make sure to measure your space so your heat sinks are cut short enough that they’ll fit.

~12 Feet of 3/4″ x 3/4″ x 1/8″ thick Angle Aluminum for Frame ($30) Note – this length is an estimate only… make sure to measure your space to properly size your frame.

1x Roll of Thermal Tape, 30mm x 25m ($16) Note – you’ll need to double your tape up on the heat sink to cover the width of this strip.

1x LLT L20 Waterproof Power Connector for Driver AC Connection ($10)

Hookup wire cut to whatever length you need ($10) Note – I use 18 gauge to connect my wagos to my strips. I use minimum 14 gauge for wago-to-wago connections.

6x 5-Conductor Wagos ($20)

1x 6-Pack of Ratcheting Hangers ($19)

Total Price Estimate (USD) = $384 + Shipping

System Specs:
Type: C.V./Parallel

Diode Count: 720

System Voltage: 46.8V

System Current: 6,700mA

System Power: 313.3W

Lumen Estimate (3000K): 52,777

Efficacy: 168 lm/w

with that setup and the driver turned up to max your only going to hit LG'S recommended 75% of max on each strip.... 75% of total power is 6.75 amps... the driver is 6.7A... ( 100% would need 9 amps)

with your potentiometer you'll be able to go from roughly just below the test current up too the max of 75% power. you shouldn't have to worry about over powering the strips unless you bump up to a bigger driver.. that's when you would have to play with the setting to not blow them out.

again welcome 😁 and keep asking questions... this is a great place to learn 😁
Opa Legalize
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the info mate!

But.... being a total newbee at this... one more question....

If my driver allows me to run it on 75%, which would be the safe and perfect option for these leds, why do I still need the potentiometer to make it even less than 75%?

And in case I don't have to use the potentiometer, can I just connect those two wires meant for the p meter?

:?
Last edited by Opa Legalize on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Opa Legalize wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:49 am
Thanks for the info mate!

But.... being a total newbee at this... one more question....

If my driver allows me to run it on 75%, which would be the safe and perfect option for these leds, why do I still need the potentiometer to make it even less than 75%?

And in case I don't have to use the potentiometer, can I just connect those two wires meant for the p meter?

:?
You may find that it's too bright for your plants to start with, or you might need to work in your grow space and don't want to be blasted with light. If you don't use a potentiometer, just leave the wires separate and the driver will run as if your pot is turned to max. If you short the wires, it'll be minimum power.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Opa Legalize
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks again!

And now that I have your attention... :)

My set up is 5 x 45 liter pots, situated in a corner in a triangle so to speak, so 1 pot in the corner and 2 next to it at each wall, which makes the grow space about 4.2 sq foot.

3x3 build seems too little and 4x4 seems too big... do I scale up or down?
More light or 1 pot less... questions questions... not easy for a stoner :?

It seems I need a 3x4 build...
Are there any specs for such a build?
Grtzzz
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Opa Legalize wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:26 am
Thanks again!

And now that I have your attention... :)

My set up is 5 x 45 liter pots, situated in a corner in a triangle so to speak, so 1 pot in the corner and 2 next to it at each wall, which makes the grow space about 4.2 sq foot.

3x3 build seems too little and 4x4 seems too big... do I scale up or down?
More light or 1 pot less... questions questions... not easy for a stoner :?

It seems I need a 3x4 build...
Are there any specs for such a build?
Grtzzz
lol I was confused as Heck to your other topic you started.. I get the 4.2 now 😄