AC Infinity CLOUDLINE S6 - PWM to 0-10v help

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
thevalkyriesride33
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Greetings,

I am working on automating my ventilation through ESP home and esp32 boards. I can already dim my hlg quad boards as needed with this, and I have been trying to work on my fan and can't quite get it to 100%. My fan ( linked at the bottom of the post ) comes with a simple button controller connected via molex to a long cord. The controller utilizes 3 wires: +10v (red), ground (black), and a yellow wire that is labeled as "PWM". The 4th wire on the molex is not used and not connected.

When the fan is at 100% full blast:
yellow to +10v (red) measures 10v
yellow to ground (black) measures ~0v

When the fan is at about 50% full blast:
yellow to +10v (red) measures ~5v
yellow to ground (black) measures ~5v

When the fan is off:
yellow to +10v (red) measures ~0v
yellow to ground (black) measures 10v

I do not have the equipment to be able to tell if this measured voltage is PWM or if its straight DC.

I have managed to use esp32 to PWM a signal to a transistor and get some level of speed control, but I cant get the voltage right. I cant get the swing to go from 0-10v. My goal is to put together a simple circuit that can take PWM from esp32, and connect to the 3 wires on the molex plug at the end of the cable. Any advice that can help get me moving in the right direction?

thevalkyriesride33
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

thevalkyriesride33 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:40 am

I do not have the equipment to be able to tell if this measured voltage is PWM or if its straight DC.
Borrowed a multimeter that can measure Hz and Duty. Yellow to +10v (red) and yellow to ground (black) are both are at 5K Hz. Duty changes as you might expect as speed goes up and down.
thevalkyriesride33
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I got in the ball park with a simple solution.

I have a https://datasheet.octopart.com/OCP-PCT4 ... 135311.pdf

I have PWM into the Anode, 75ohm resistor from cathode to ground of the board. On the fan side, I have yellow "pwm" connected to the collector via a 2K resistor, and the emitter connected to ground (black). This gives me a voltage range of 0.6v 9.8v. 50% duty is some place around 3.8v. The fan does not turn on until about 1.1v, and wont turn off unless it drops under 0.8v.

Is there a way I can take care of this with code, or do I need to look at the electronics more? It bothers me a bit that duty does not quite match up with voltage.

output:
- platform: ledc
pin: 23
frequency: 1220 Hz
inverted: true
id: growlight_pwm
channel: 0
pin: 21
id: fan_pwm
channel: 2

light:
- platform: monochromatic
name: "Grow Light"
output: growlight_pwm
gamma_correct: 1.0

fan:
- platform: speed
name: "Exhaust Fan"
speed_count: 100
output: fan_pwm
thevalkyriesride33
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

A bit more tweaking, and I think I am happy with what I have:

PWM into Anode of optocoupler and 2.2 ohm resistor from cathode to ground.
Yellow "pwm" into the collector of the opto and emitter to 1k ohm resistor to black (ground) of the fan.

Yellow is pin 2 of the female molex connector on the end of the cord, and black is pin 3. (The two middle pins). +10v is on pin 4, but I dont use it.

I made these small adjustments and the opto seemed to transfer the PWM more effectively. I played around with the frequency of the PWM. I tried 5K and lost control over speed. I dropped it down to 500 and 250 and have better control of the fan across the entire range. I am at about 0.96v when the slider is at 0% 4.9v when the slider is at 50%, and 9.9v when the slider is at 100%. The last thing I did was to change the speed_count from 100 to 10. I did this because the fan would not turn on until at 6-7%, and now it turns off at less than 10%. I know there are not pictures here, but I wanted to document this for anyone else who is attempting what I went through the past few days. I will likely tweak a bit more moving forward, but I am happy with where this ended up. Please note that I only have a basic knowledge of circuitry, and that this might end up ruining my fan and yours if you attempt to follow it.... but I think that risk is low.

output:
pin: 23
id: growlight_pwm
channel: 0
frequency: 250 Hz
id: fan_pwm
channel: 2

light:
- platform: monochromatic
name: "Grow Light"
output: growlight_pwm
gamma_correct: 1.0

fan:
- platform: speed
name: "Grow Fan"
speed_count: 10
output: fan_pwm
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

here's my S6 configuration working good here on a esp32+ L298n Mosfet driver
and i've been running multiple blowers for almost 8 months with no issues
esphome yaml:

Code: Select all

esphome:
  name: ac_infinity_blower1
  platform: ESP32
  board: mhetesp32devkit

wifi:
  ssid: "jjjjjj"
  password: "zi"

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
  password: "000"

ota:
  password: "000"

output:
    pin: GPIO19
    frequency: 5040 Hz
    id: ventilation_fan_pwm
    min_power: 0.0001
    max_power: 0.25
  - platform: gpio
    id: gpio_21
    inverted: yes
i also used a cheap Oscilloscope to mesure the Frquency from the original controller
dir
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

stud wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:34 pm
here's my S6 configuration working good here on a esp32+ L298n Mosfet driver
and i've been running multiple blowers for almost 8 months with no issues
esphome yaml:

Code: Select all

esphome:
  name: ac_infinity_blower1
  platform: ESP32
  board: mhetesp32devkit

snip

I'm building a room with a T6 and an S6 and want to control them similarly. Could you post the part #s or details of the device you built? Specifically, which esp32 board are you using, which L298n, etc. - I'd like to simply build one identical to yours since it's driving the exact same fans (AC Infinity Cloudline).
I'm continuing to scour the forums here for more details but your solution looks like exactly what I need and would save me a "vertical learning curve" of several weeks, I think!

Also, on a related note, I've contacted the dev team at AC Infinity to ask them to release their bluetooth codes for their new Model 67 controller, which links to a bluetooth app on a phone. If I can get the codes, I can start working on a Homebridge/HomeAssistant bridge that would make it easy for others to set this sort of thing up, as they wouldn't need to build anything. If they're open to the idea and give me the data, I'll create a post in here.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

thevalkyriesride33
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

stud wrote:
here's my S6 configuration working good here on a esp32+ L298n Mosfet driver ...
The solution I came to doesn't require any other components other the the a PWM signal, an opto and some resistors. Been running very stable with multiple speed changes for over a month now without issue.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:36 pm
stud wrote:
here's my S6 configuration working good here on a esp32+ L298n Mosfet driver ...
The solution I came to doesn't require any other components other the the a PWM signal, an opto and some resistors. Been running very stable with multiple speed changes for over a month now without issue.
you have a example please ?
thevalkyriesride33
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

stud wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:39 pm
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:36 pm
stud wrote:
you have a example please ?
I am the OP... I posted my example in the first posts of this thread.