Help with EB Gen 2 build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Camstedam
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone could possibly help.

I am trying to build my first strip light build and i'm getting a little confused by the math and understanding of it all.

I have been to the DIY guide page and that is what i'm basing my question off.

In the guide for the 2x3 space we use 24 strips for the HLG-240H-20B driver, this is unfortunately out of stock on Digikey. the next step up is 15x 2 foot strips( https://www.digikey.co.za/en/products/d ... B3/7907663) and uses the HLG-320H-20B driver which is in stock at Digikey.

my question is would it be possible to double up on the number of 1 footers in comparison to 2 footers(https://www.digikey.co.za/en/products/d ... B3/7907665) so instead of 15 2 foot strips i would use 30 1 foot strips, i would prefer to use the 1 foot strips as it allows a bit more custimisation of the config and spacing.

I hope someone could help me with thing as i am really wracking my brain aver it.
costis
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'm also working on choosing materials for a build... What's the purpose of a footer (aluminium profile, I guess) in a grow light build?
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yes, you can double them up. Two of the 280mm strips in parallel is equivalent to one 560mm strip.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Tip: put two 280mm strips in series first, then parallel the pairs. This will bump up the voltage to ~40V so use a -42 driver. This will reduce the amount of wiring and reduce the voltage loss over small wires.
Camstedam
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:46 pm
Yes, you can double them up. Two of the 280mm strips in parallel is equivalent to one 560mm strip.
Thank you so much for all the feedback.

would i wire the strips in parallel, like pictured in the first diagram here? Image

just a 2 daisy chain instead of 3?

Really looking forward to hearing your feedback.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yes, they are all in parallel in the left picture.