660nm Showdown

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
grisbi
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

grisbi
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:26 pm
Just an update with this, A couple of weeks ago the Osram distributor contacted me and sent a new data sheet on the 660nm that is 10% higher efficiency than the ones I tested here.
I will test them once they become available and get some samples.

This new led puts Osram in front by alot, it will be interesting to see the price of them and how the performance to cost ratio works out.
Although the data sheet states the performance I really do not trust any led manufacturers as when I test a product it is always alot lower than they claim.
Saying that its usually a pretty even difference in percentage between my tests and theirs so as I have tested the other bins I can work out what the difference will likely be before testing for myself

https://dammedia.osram.info/media/resou ... .24_EN.pdf
oups sorry teknik, i didnt reads your post first sorry! thought those 660 led would be awesome
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Hi mate good to see you around. The thing with the 660nm is you can't only grow with 660nm. A 10% increase on a 660nm only relates to about a 2% increase on the over all system. I would prefer they start making better 630nm and 680nm leds instead of the focus being on 660nm
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
end_of_the_tunnel
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:19 am
Next I am hoping to do some mid powers, waiting on the new Nichia to begin mass production so I can test to see how they stack up to Samsung.
I will make some products out of the LT-660nm and may sell some to other companies if they want to save some money and pass that onto their customers.
I'm a bit of an unknown brand and that will make some hesitate but people that know me don't have a problem with things I supply.
To me if it does the right job then better to save some money.
In the end even the big companies are just packaging someone elses product and often they don't even do the packaging themselves and get another company in China to do it, taking out the big brand name is all I am doing differently.
You still thinking of selling some? Whats your MOQ? And roll size/ quantity per roll?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

MOQ is 10,000pcs reel is usually 1000pcs but can be made bigger if needed
end_of_the_tunnel
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Oh, so you only supplying the big guys. Hopefully they are purchasing from you. I think they would be very capable, run efficiently, in a fixture.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It's not worth wasting my time to make a couple of $$ with small orders. I can not give the customer service I would like to if I have too many customers. Better if I have fewer more serious customers that I can help out when needed.

Leds are a numbers game and although many think that there are huge profits involved there really isn't, not when you are being honest anyway.

It's easy to scam people but that's just not me and I prefer to have a good reputation and do it honestly.

No point teaching my children to be good people if their father is an arsehole.
end_of_the_tunnel
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I understand. Its all about scales of economy.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It's not just that.
I've been to the largest led packaging company of leds in the world and went through one of their 14 factories which is probably upto 20 factories now as it as 2 years ago when I went there.
This factory was packaging everyone's leds. I saw many big brand names going through there and I only went through 1 of their factories.

What people don't understand is the difference in things.
I use epistar leds in my red 660nm power LEDs.
These are not the epistar leds that the people on Alibaba are using on quantum board knock offs.
These are the top of the top epistar leds that they set aside for the major companies and people can not just purchase them as many think.
If I say I use epistar because they are good people will think ok epistar are good so I will buy them somewhere cheaper. It doesn't work like that.

Brand names do not mean as much as people realise and packages vary alot also.
I can buy the same led of the same package for USD0.008 or I can pay USD$0.08
It can really be that much of a difference but the company is the same and the package is the same.

There are differences in there that people don't quite understand.

I go through alot of leds and I'm not a huge company. I have a better understanding of the led world more than alot of companies that are much larger than I am and because of the way I deal with these guys I end up at the top of the top. It is really difficult to explain it all.

Things are not black and white like everyone seems to think when it comes to brands and model numbers.
If you pick up a reel of Cree leds for example there are about 25 more numbers after the initial model number. You need to work out what all of those numbers mean, then you need to make sure they have done that testing correctly to suit you as it can be different.

If I am going to supply a top of the range led it needs to be to a company that understands that they are not a cheap led to begin with and when they understand that then they will understand why the moq is at the level it is and why things are done this way.
It complex and you really need to be in the industry at a manufacturer level to understand why things are all over the place like they are.
A few companies will take advantage of what I have this year, I have no doubt of that.
end_of_the_tunnel
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:32 am
It's not just that.
I've been to the largest led packaging company of leds in the world and went through one of their 14 factories which is probably upto 20 factories now as it as 2 years ago when I went there.
This factory was packaging everyone's leds. I saw many big brand names going through there and I only went through 1 of their factories.

What people don't understand is the difference in things.
I use epistar leds in my red 660nm power LEDs.
These are not the epistar leds that the people on Alibaba are using on quantum board knock offs.
These are the top of the top epistar leds that they set aside for the major companies and people can not just purchase them as many think.
If I say I use epistar because they are good people will think ok epistar are good so I will buy them somewhere cheaper. It doesn't work like that.

Brand names do not mean as much as people realise and packages vary alot also.
I can buy the same led of the same package for USD0.008 or I can pay USD$0.08
It can really be that much of a difference but the company is the same and the package is the same.

There are differences in there that people don't quite understand.

I go through alot of leds and I'm not a huge company. I have a better understanding of the led world more than alot of companies that are much larger than I am and because of the way I deal with these guys I end up at the top of the top. It is really difficult to explain it all.

Things are not black and white like everyone seems to think when it comes to brands and model numbers.
If you pick up a reel of Cree leds for example there are about 25 more numbers after the initial model number. You need to work out what all of those numbers mean, then you need to make sure they have done that testing correctly to suit you as it can be different.

If I am going to supply a top of the range led it needs to be to a company that understands that they are not a cheap led to begin with and when they understand that then they will understand why the moq is at the level it is and why things are done this way.
It complex and your really need to be in the industry at a manufacturer level to understand why things are all over the place like they are.
A few companies will take advantage of what I have this year, I have no doubt of that.
I understand you perfectly. You move in a world that only others in the trade can comprehend. And that is why people like you are invaluable on open forums. Hopefully you will post and offer more advice and knowledge.

I am not trying to troll you or attack you when I ask questions. I simply want to try find answers and understand and learn.