Upgrading my Lights - Driver Matching / Wiring Help!

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
imthatmotm
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey guys, I could use some help.

Upgrading my lighting and I'm in a bit of a pickle. I realize this is a lot to ask and tried to do as much as I could to make answering this easier.

My Existing Setup

Veg Tent:
  • 4 HLG QB288 V1s
    1 HLG600h54b Driver
Flower Tent:
  • 3 sets of: 4 Vero29-D's + HLG320h-c2100b
What I just received:
  • 4 x 800pcs lm561c PCB
Specs:
  • 48V
    3A - 6.5A
    3.0/W conductivity
    129-372W
    Size: 900 x 280 x 2.0 mm
Total:
  • 12 Vero29-D's
    4 800pcs PCB
    4 QB288 V1s
    1 HLG320H-c2100b
    1 HLG600h54B
What I want:

Veg Tent:
  • 4 HLG QB288 V1s
    1 HLG320H-c2100b
Flower Tent:
  • 2 sets of: 6 Vero29-D's + 1 HLG 320H-c2100b
    4 800pcs PCB + 1 HLG600h54B
Made a Diagram:

More broadly, I just want to run all my LED's really cool to get the most out of their efficiency and get the most out of my equipment. I know I'm hitting a voltage wall and was hoping their was some parallel wiring trickery I could pull to make this work.

If not, how would you go about wiring these up? I'm willing to buy a new driver if need be, just trying to keep costs is low as I can.

Thanks for reading.
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

There are some specifics about these drivers and LED's that can make for compatibility issues if not very well thought through. You may want to check out the LEDG guides on this stuff to get a good understanding of the why the popular setups end up the ways they do and whether certain setups lend themselves to easy swapability or upgradability as you desire.

The voltage max on the 320 level driver is not likely to run 4 of the 288 V1 boards. Driver has a max of 152V.

You may have to look into a lower wattage constant voltage driver (HLG-320H-54A or B) to run 4 of those at lower power as you desire.

I suspect the 320-C2100B were initially designed to run the 4 Vero's somewhat 'perfectly'. It's a well known setup with the Vero D type. I would keep these pairs in place doing that job as they are already a match made in heaven. If you would like to run more diodes more efficiently, to build on these setups, you could look into doubling the COB's and running 8 off of each driver in the series/parallel configuration. Easiest way with the CC drivers I can think of to affect that desired efficiency bump.

I don't know what the 800pcs PCB of the additional samsung diodes wants or needs as far as driving so I'll leave that be. Just know to make sure that the specs are compatible and sensible with the boards, or send on some more info about those.

Edit:
If it's these boards:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 95759.html

You are looking at 43.2-49.6 volt range on those which might be too low to match well with the 600H-54B driver, but may be just fine to keep it in CV mode and run them well. I think HLG still recommends the 54 drivers with their new v2 boards which are similar max voltage. Someone else chime in on these. I'd hope you are okay there. BTW those boards look nice.
I know I'm not right
But I'm not wrong, no, I'm not wrong
Girl, you hate it when I'm too high
But that's where I belong, where I belong
imthatmotm
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

DaveJonesFan wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:48 pm
There are some specifics about these drivers and LED's that can make for compatibility issues if not very well thought through. You may want to check out the LEDG guides on this stuff to get a good understanding of the why the popular setups end up the ways they do and whether certain setups lend themselves to easy swapability or upgradability as you desire.

The voltage max on the 320 level driver is not likely to run 4 of the 288 V1 boards. Driver has a max of 152V.

You may have to look into a lower wattage constant voltage driver (HLG-320H-54A or B) to run 4 of those at lower power as you desire.

I suspect the 320-C2100B were initially designed to run the 4 Vero's somewhat 'perfectly'. It's a well known setup with the Vero D type. I would keep these pairs in place doing that job as they are already a match made in heaven. If you would like to run more diodes more efficiently, to build on these setups, you could look into doubling the COB's and running 8 off of each driver in the series/parallel configuration. Easiest way with the CC drivers I can think of to affect that desired efficiency bump.

I don't know what the 800pcs PCB of the additional samsung diodes wants or needs as far as driving so I'll leave that be. Just know to make sure that the specs are compatible and sensible with the boards, or send on some more info about those.

Edit:
If it's these boards:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 95759.html

You are looking at 43.2-49.6 volt range on those which might be too low to match well with the 600H-54B driver, but may be just fine to keep it in CV mode and run them well. I think HLG still recommends the 54 drivers with their new v2 boards which are similar max voltage. Someone else chime in on these. I'd hope you are okay there. BTW those boards look nice.
Thanks for the informative RE.

No option to run 6 veros per 320 in parallel? Or 4 QB's parallel? I was under the impression that parallel divided the amperage rather than the voltage so they'd all run

You are correct that's the exact board. I'm really excited to get em wired, but I'm in over my head with driver matching.

I guess I could leave the vero bars as-is. I'm just concerned with lighting the 800s and the QBs.
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I think wiring the COBs in parallel would result in a 36V circuit which is under the driver's voltage range of 76 ~ 152V. The current supplied would be divided among the COB's (and perhaps not perfectly evenly) even if it worked so you would be getting very little power out of the driver's and all COB's would end up underpowered.

Similar situation with the QB's on CC driver in parallel.

The CC drivers work best with series wiring and the CV with parallel, generally.

I think your best move is plan to purchase the single HLG-320H-54 variant for the QB's veg area to wire in parallel, and hopefully you can run everything else as is (keep Vero setups the same in series, try the 600 driver with the 4 new boards in parallel), perhaps with dimming if overpowered for flower space.

If the new 800 boards don't work with the B type 54A CV driver they may work with an A variant with voltage knob. If they don't work with the driver you have you may want to keep using the 600 for the QB's with dimming and purchase a suitable driver for the new boards whether that be 600H-48 (A or B) or 600H-54A. Hopefully someone can help with that, as I'm just not 100% sure.
Last edited by DaveJonesFan on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know I'm not right
imthatmotm
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Just ordered an HLG-600H-48A fo the 4 800 boards. I'll wire those in parallel and leave everything else as-is. Please tell me I didn't fuck up lol
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Ahhh was just editing that option into my post, but as I'm just not sure we'll have to keep hope alive that works well for them.
I know I'm not right
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Don't forget the option of running cobs & QBs in series/parallel combinations.
3 veros in series is 108v, then two of these in parallel will split the amps in two .