Solid for 4x4?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Nuggie wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:08 pm
Led4x4 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 pm
I just want decent light intensity with very good uniformity.
Based on that comment your looking at strip lighting and you can make your own spectrum. You can also get a lot of light intensity with strips as well - all in all its a trade off, a cob is point source high intensity with less uniformity, strips are less intensity better uniformity. By all means all you have to do to match intensity with strips is add more strips.

I have four bulbs in my bathroom, when I am sitting on the shitter and I look at the shadows that four bulbs produce it is four shades of grey (lol, not the book you sicko's!). In my mind the more sources of light makes up for less point sources by having better coverage. Strips also allow your setup to be very flexible, unlike the products your mentioning that can pigeon hole your setup.
Thanks for the reply Nuggie! I had a feeling that strips would be my best bet but since that dumb equinox is the only one available for me to buy pre-made I guess I have no choice but to DIY lol... Canada seems to suck for getting grow lights.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

When you order stuff from Digikey, Mouser, Future Electronics, Arrow it comes really fast, hold on for the ride, you'll enjoy it!
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Nuggie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:42 am
When you order stuff from Digikey, Mouser, Future Electronics, Arrow it comes really fast, hold on for the ride, you'll enjoy it!
Haha I don't have time for any diy atm, I will 100% for sure do it in the future once I get my grow going. Still leaning towards the chilled logic 4x4 kit for the time being. Thank you sir, I'll keep those sellers in mind for when I join you guys in the right way to rock leds.
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Cheers @Led4x4, it sounds like you have a good grasp of the fundamentals.

Keep in mind there is some assembly required with the chilled/growmau5 kit (I don't understand why the preassembled one has 6pucks and the kit has 8..??). If you are looking to DIY in the future, assembling the kit will definitely get your feet wet and build your confidence.

If you truly have more money than time, maybe the Gavita 1650e is what you're looking for. It's plug and play, and will give super even coverage for your SCROG.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4196

I know Hawthorne carries them in Surrey, BC, but I'm not sure where you are at.

Cost wise, it's about 50% more than the chilled 4x4 kit from rapid, but you will be hard pressed to find more even coverage.
Run 'em soft
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:04 am

Keep in mind there is some assembly required with the chilled/growmau5 kit (I don't understand why the preassembled one has 6pucks and the kit has 8..??). If you are looking to DIY in the future, assembling the kit will definitely get your feet wet and build your confidence.

If you truly have more money than time, maybe the Gavita 1650e is what you're looking for. It's plug and play, and will give super even coverage for your SCROG.

Cost wise, it's about 50% more than the chilled 4x4 kit from rapid, but you will be hard pressed to find more even coverage.
Thanks my friend, I really don't know why the pre-built has 6 vs the kit with 8x. Are they just ran at a diff wattage? The 6x draws 580 watts vs the 8x drawing 630. Yet the 580 says it replaces a 1k hps? I'm really interested in the diy aspect but the full diy way you guys do it is too much atm. Like you said, going to get my feet wet with this kit and will def be building my own in the future. As for the gavita, I have seen it before and it looks fantastic but no way in hell they are getting 2 grand from me for something like that after knowing what it consists of.
Vividled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hi I've just got in some 250w double 288 lm301b board kits with meanwell drivers. In the UK and ready to go. If anyone's interested just drop me a message. Not sure if this is braking some rule or not as I'm not really a business yet just a very enthusiastic gardener. But if it is if someone could link me to the advertising part that would be great. Thanks
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Nuggie wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:23 am
We put soil in pots, what about building contained boxes beneath the lights? One continuous raised bed with a drain to sewer?? Just thinking outside the box.
I suggest bed that are 4x8 inside dimension, on casters. PVC pipes serve as uprights to support trellis. The beds are lined with 8mil plastic, then a 1.5" layer of chunky perlite, then root cloth, then the soil. They have drains with ball valves that allow you to hook up a garden hose. With normal waterings, the perlite layer is enough to adsorb any excess water, and allow it to evaporate into the soil in time. Based on Somas beds, as shown in this book,
https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Marijuan ... 0932551688
Last edited by randorson on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:16 pm
For now everyone is focusing on efficiency, and spectrum speech is mostly marketing. I still sometimes use HPS for the bulking phase of flowering :D
Many people in the Pac NW have made a living with HPS lights for many, many years.
Last edited by randorson on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:04 am

I agree.

These would allow you to diy replicate the 1650e pretty well,
https://www.pacificlightconcepts.com/pr ... ht-engine/

or these but they are dual row so you'd have the light spread out over fewer sources,
https://atreumlighting.com/products/ara ... -light-bar
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

randorson wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:10 am
Nuggie wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:23 am
We put soil in pots, what about building contained boxes beneath the lights? One continuous raised bed with a drain to sewer?? Just thinking outside the box.
My beds are 4x8 inside dimension, they are on casters. PVC pipes serve as uprights to support trellis. The be s are lined with 8mil plastic, then a 1.5" layer of chunky perlite, then root cloth, then the soil. They have drains with ball valves that allow me to hook up a garden hose. With normal waterings, the perlite layer is enough to adsorb any excess water, and allow it to evaporate into the soil in time. My original bed were based on Somas beds, as shown in this book,
https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Marijuan ... 0932551688
I like this concept and to boot I have most of the supplies you listed. Sure beats re-potting and leaves plant to grow a lot less constrained with less stress from re pot.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.