Solid for 4x4?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 am
Well I saw a video of Growmou5 talking about the chilled LED fixtures, and since I've been blasting on how generic white led is I felt I have to take that back on the part of chilled LED... their approach is about as non-generic as you could go with the elements at hand.
A lot of over kill with triple cooling and extra frequencies one might not use, but definitely they have passion and I was wrong to generalize about them.

I still would not recommend them to anyone who is financially concerned, but it seems neither would growmou5,
Hey unkle, yes I agree, their "tuneable" spectrum seems like it would be best, although I can't even get to a page on their site allowing me to see their chilled light. Have they decided to shutdown?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Best is a difficult term... in some way we would need to know what is relevant to define it.

Chilled say they have found a bunch of light recipes, it might be true. Someone posted a link to a scientist who researched light recipes for the Finnish Valoya company and all he had done was grow 3 clones, 1 per color temperature at 3k, 3.5k and 4k. He concluded the 4k plant 'might be best for some applications' and their marketing machine was ready to roll!

Somehow I think if chilled had recipes that really matter, they would demonstrate the fact...

But despite the doubt on the recipes, the light would make researching your own recipes pretty straight forward.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:56 pm
Best is a difficult term... in some way we would need to know what is relevant to define it....

...But despite the doubt on the recipes, the light would make researching your own recipes pretty straight forward.
Exactly
Run 'em soft
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:56 pm
Best is a difficult term... in some way we would need to know what is relevant to define it.

Chilled say they have found a bunch of light recipes, it might be true. Someone posted a link to a scientist who researched light recipes for the Finnish Valoya company and all he had done was grow 3 clones, 1 per color temperature at 3k, 3.5k and 4k. He concluded the 4k plant 'might be best for some applications' and their marketing machine was ready to roll!

Somehow I think if chilled had recipes that really matter, they would demonstrate the fact...

But despite the doubt on the recipes, the light would make researching your own recipes pretty straight forward.
Yes I no longer think it's possible to get the UV tuneable spectrum chilled grow lights as their site isn't in operation atm. I think I might just buy the chilled logic gromau5 4x4 puck kit from rapidled. Only thing that bugs me about it is the 630 watt draw Vs 480 from hlg or that Equinox strip light.
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

You can easily dim the fixture to 400 or 500watts
Run 'em soft
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:38 pm
You can easily dim the fixture to 400 or 500watts
Yes I just realized that. I've decided to get the kit. What is your take on the exotic and Emerson boards that they sell?
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

It's easy to overthink things. You gotta bake the cake before the icing goes on. Until the environment and soil are absolutely dialed it's hard to correlate cause and effect.

One doesn't just step into a Formula One car and drive, a lot of go-karting happens first.

Some of the best herb I've encountered was grown under HPS + Blurple!
Last edited by ATPinMotion on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Run 'em soft
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

For now everyone is focusing on efficiency, and spectrum speech is mostly marketing. I still sometimes use HPS for the bulking phase of flowering :D
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:16 pm
For now everyone is focusing on efficiency, and spectrum speech is mostly marketing. I still sometimes use HPS for the bulking phase of flowering :D
ATPinMotion wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:39 pm
It's easy to overthink things. You gotta bake the cake before the icing goes on. Until the environment and soil are absolutely dialed it's hard to correlate cause and effect.

One doesn't just step into a Formula One car and drive, a lot of go-karting happens first.

Some of the best herb I've encountered was grown under HPS + Blurple!
You guys are both the best for taking the time to enlighten my dumb ass about spectrum and being patient with my questions, I understand fully what you mean. HPS scares me because of the heat etc or I would go that route. The blurples would also be good if I didn't think that they would fail so easily. The 4x4 chilled logic kit has 8x pucks each with 214 Q series leds( 190x 3000k, 20x 4000k and 4x 660 reds). Believe it or not it's hard to find any info regarding ppfd etc, it pulls 630w at max so it should put out a good amount of light right? Migro on youtube did a par test with one of the v2 pucks @100w and at 12" above canopy it reached around 940... but recommended hanging height is 18" which would give better spread but now isn't the ppfd going to be considerably lower? I just want decent light intensity with very good uniformity.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Led4x4 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 pm
I just want decent light intensity with very good uniformity.
Based on that comment your looking at strip lighting and you can make your own spectrum. You can also get a lot of light intensity with strips as well - all in all its a trade off, a cob is point source high intensity with less uniformity, strips are less intensity better uniformity. By all means all you have to do to match intensity with strips is add more strips.

I have four bulbs in my bathroom, when I am sitting on the shitter and I look at the shadows that four bulbs produce it is four shades of grey (lol, not the book you sicko's!). In my mind the more sources of light makes up for less point sources by having better coverage. Strips also allow your setup to be very flexible, unlike the products your mentioning that can pigeon hole your setup.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.