Europe custom DIY Fixtures

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
KasparGrower
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Don't worry about that,I only asked just because me and Random had almost a deal for two fixtures made with PrawnConnery's high CRI boards. And yeah he's not around even there since August I guess... I just hope everything is ok besides business.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I received an email from someone saying they moved to a closed forum, so I would assume thats what he did too.

Is there any reason you want the fixture to be DIY? I don't think there is anything out there which is as sexy as cutters tunable offerings. I did want to try the prawn boards too though.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
KasparGrower
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

@unkle_psycho The main reason is because I wanted a super efficient fixture capable of >3 micromol/J .
I discovered these high CRI Nichia boards from Curtter just a couple days ago and they for sure seem to be crazy!
But I also heard that high CRI is not that efficient so I may need a mix to have a broad spectrum in one and and efficiency in the other.
I took a look at their website and I didn't find the 3 channel strips you were talking about. Would you be kind enough to send me a link to them?
Seeing their variety of color temps and CRI,made my mind change all the plans regarding the build I wanted to make.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You can easily reach 3 micromouls per joule using Cree XPG3 LEDs and have a really red spectrum.
The reason everyone is adding 660nm is to increase efficacy.

If you are not worried about spectrum and more worried about efficiency then that's the sacrifice.
Your other option is to run a hell of alot of mid power LEDs at cri80 and you will get about 2.9 micromouls per joule at the board level.
If you wait a year then performance will increase again.
Right now the led market has flattened out alot with high performance white, what you want to spend is the real difference.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
KasparGrower
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:07 am
You can easily reach 3 micromouls per joule using Cree XPG3 LEDs and have a really red spectrum.
The reason everyone is adding 660nm is to increase efficacy.

If you are not worried about spectrum and more worried about efficiency then that's the sacrifice.
Your other option is to run a hell of alot of mid power LEDs at cri80 and you will get about 2.9 micromouls per joule at the board level.
If you wait a year then performance will increase again.
Right now the led market has flattened out alot with high performance white, what you want to spend is the real difference.
I really wanted somthing with a good compromise between spectrum and efficiency. My original idea was to run a lot of Samsung's H inFlux L06 @496mA and add a few red,deep and far reds to maximize Emerson Effect and EOD treatment. But now I see that a lot of guys that are into the LED game,are making a U turn towards a better spectrum with high CRI solutions.
I'm not so educated in this subject so I'm always seeking good advices.
My maim goal (everyone's I think lol) is to have a light with high gpw capability (I've seen results of 1.5+ gpw) and a great overall spectrum.
Right now I'm willing to invest 1.6/1.7k $ to light my 2 tents (100x100cm and 80x80cm) since it's been years that I'm using HIDs and I'm ready to make the great step.
What do you think would be the best setup atm?
Thanks for spending your time helping me out guys!
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Right now, I think Prawns boards are the best. I would add some monos for end of day and maybe UVA but that's all.
4 in your larger tent would be good, you could probably get away with 2 in the smaller tent.

Quality of his boards are the best I have seen also

Don't stress about grams per watt so much, you can easily gain more grams per watt by changing the way you grow.

There is a test going by Or_Gro at the moment with Prawns board, it's nearly finished and Prawns seem to be alot in front of the others that are using a fair bit of suppliment lights, to save the need to buy a heap of extra mono LEDs is a good thing.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
KasparGrower
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:47 am
Right now, I think Prawns boards are the best. I would add some monos for end of day and maybe UVA but that's all.
4 in your larger tent would be good, you could probably get away with 2 in the smaller tent.

Quality of his boards are the best I have seen also

Don't stress about grams per watt so much, you can easily gain more grams per watt by changing the way you grow.

There is a test going by Or_Gro at the moment with Prawns board, it's nearly finished and Prawns seem to be alot in front of the others that are using a fair bit of suppliment lights, to save the need to buy a heap of extra mono LEDs is a good thing.
How much do you think I have to drive them for better efficiency in my area?
Random was building two fixtures each with 2x Prawn's boards + reptile UVB bulb and a few monos. Unfortunately I don't know how to contact him anymore.
Do you think that Prawn can send a fixture already assembled? That's my main concearn. My DIY skills are close to none.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Cutter has 80cri strips that give around 220lm/w... thats a couple of generations ahead of samsungs offerings.

If your looking for a compromise towards efficiency, I just made plans to build what I would expect to be the ultimate efficiency machine. I'm about to travel and give the light to a friend for testing.

My idea is using the 12 in series xpg-3 modules, reds give 4.13umol, not sure about the blues...
https://www.cutter.com.au/product/cutte ... xp-custom/

Then add a little white led with a dimmer, which can be dialed up for the last few weeks when the plant is making higher metabolites.

I have no idea on the umol/w on the 220lm/w nichias at cutter, or what you could get when running EB gen3's very low. But I think it will hit efficiency figures way over 3.0
Last edited by unkle_psycho on Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Here are the tunable strips, and yes the 97cri channel will have lower overall efficiency.
https://www.cutter.com.au/product/sol-strip-br-nic/
The ones I want to test are the last ones on the list.

I've been growing with 80 and 90 cri for a while now, and if I had to send buds for a photoshoot, they would come from under the 90cri light for sure. Much more colors. Would not say I noticed any difference in potency.

Legalization is taking attention away from pure efficiency, and grams per watt, towards quality. Sometimes just a story is enough to separate yourself from the rest of the market.

The design above should give an advantage in any grams/ watt challenge. would not expect any increase in grams/ DLI... you would just get your DLI with less electricity :D
Adam
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

KasparGrower wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:52 pm
. I know that diyleduk doesn't ship outside the UK anymore due to Brexit,
That's just temporary.