Hello,long time lurker first post lol,What driver/drivers for 5 hlg QB100 V1'S

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Kascutt
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello guys,so I came across 5 new hlg100 V1 boards for a price I couldn't pass up(45$). I know there old tech now, but this is my first build and grow😎 working on a tight budget! I've been trying to find a spec sheet on them with no luck, my question is can I drive all 5 on one driver or would I need to do 4 with the odd ball on a separate Driver? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I don't really know the product, but it should be possible to run 5 small QB's on a single driver. In general you should have many choices on how you want to drive them, not only in terms of power.
Perhaps you can put a link to the product you got, or its documentation.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Kascutt
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi bud thank you for the reply,I've done some digging and could only come up with this https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... ts/hlg-100

It's the same but I have the V1 made with the older Samsung diodes. I emailed HGL asking if they could reccomend me a driver or drivers and all they said was this "They are 36V and 2.8 Amps max" I'm sure that is all the info I need,I'm just not sure how I would go about selecting a driver from that info lol. I've spent endless hours of research on all the different led diy setups my head still hast absorbed all the info lol.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

OK! chances are that the voltage and current change along with the diodes, but its not always the case. The max values they gave you should be enough for you to make a decision.

Are you planning on running them in a single manner, or do you want flexibility? If you know exactly how you will use them you can wire in series - this would add all the voltages while amps would stay the same. If you want a flexible setup you wire in parallel, here the voltage stays around 36v and ampers get added up.

These have a max of 100w, for sure that would call for heat sinking. If you drive them soft enough you could set them up without heatsinks, but I don't know how hard that would be.

Anyway with heatsinks 480w will be their max, so 320w would be in the 70% rate. I guess your grow size will determine how much power you will need?
Kascutt
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

My grow space is going to be a 4'Γ—4' 16sqft tent,I was looking into drivers all night!! The HLG-480H-C2800A Seems like it would be a good fit for all 5 in series, but would max the boards out, would this be ok with the dimming capabilities of this driver? Or is there a cheaper better way to go about this? I'm open to whatever configuration that would be best, and budget friendly. Thank you so much for the help!
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If your space is a 4x4, you would probably aim for the hlg 480. There would be a benefit in wiring in series, as your efficiency might go up 1% for higher voltage models. 5x36v goes over the driver spec by 9v, I'm not sure if thats a problem, as they said 36v is max, you might expect a little less.

https://www.digikey.fi/products/en/powe ... ageSize=25

These are models I would look at, perhaps because I'm used to just hooking everything in parallel at their given voltage. The higher voltage approach you are thinking of will be a little more efficient, but I think you would need the documentation to really predict your exact voltage at a given current, to calculate the perfect driver. It's not an area I actually worked on though, so you might want to wait around a moment for more educated advise.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

welcome to the forum first off.. and apologies for missing a QB question πŸ˜„

which boards did you receive?? because 36v and 2800ma max are numbers from two different boards... the qb 120 is 24v with a 2800 ma max.. the qb 132 is 36V with 2000ma max.. both the 120/132 max out around 70-75 watts. count the number of actual diodes on the boards.. this will tell you if it's 120 or 132 numbers.. I also don't recommend running any qb at its max current.. they just get to hot!

best fit for all 5 boards if qb 132's would be a hlg-320h-c1750 ( a or b type ). it will push each board roughly 60 watts each.. if they are qb 120's the 5 of them should just fit on a hlg-240h-c2100.

against welcome.. and sorry it took me a day or two to see this πŸ˜„
Kascutt
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

The boards are 5 HLG QB100 V1'S, I'm buying them new for 45$ for all 5. I emailed HGL asking if they could reccomend me a driver or drivers, all they said was they are 36v a piece and a max of 2.8amps. I linked the new version of this board in my post above, the V1 boards I'm getting have 192 older Samsung 561c diodes in them I believe, the V2's have 192 301b diodes. What do you think about the 480H-36 for all 5 in parallel? Or should I go about it in a different way? I know both of the drivers I've mentioned are going to push these boards to there max,but with the dimming option can I dial it in to where there not at there max with both drivers I mentioned? This is my first build, if there are better ways to go im all about it! Agian thank you guys for the much needed help! I'm just trying to get my first grow going so I can have quality medicine 😎😍😎😍
Kascutt
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I forgot to mention that these qb100 V1 boards are supposed to be pulling 95watts from the wall I believe. Like I said I can't find a spec sheet on the V1's.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Well all I was going with was the numbers you said they gave, but the green giant generally knows the QB stuff, so definatly wait for him to get back about that.

You could also email HLG and ask them for a link to documentation for your QB's, I'm pretty sure they will have it available.