Drivers not outputting correct voltage or are my readings wrong?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Maybe show some pictures of how your driver is connected up, also make sure you have the boards connected in parallel, not that I think the lights would work in series. Use your multimeter to check current to the boards make sure you use the multimeter directly after the output connectors of the driver not between the boards
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

IMG_20190910_054242.jpg
IMG_20190910_054256.jpg
IMG_20190910_055623.jpg
Both boards have two wires (red and black) coming in the 2 wagos that connect straight into the driver.

When i measured current, i took off the red driver wire, connected one multimeter lead with the red driver wire in a third wago, and connected the other multimeter lead to the wago where the driver red wire used to go. This should measure the whole circuit if i'm not wrong.
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

When measuring current (i have the external pot taken off, so driver dim wires aren't connected to anything), i'm getting 0.95A with Io and Vo turned all the way down. When i turn the Vo a little bit it jumps to 1.10A but stays there no matter how much i turn the Vo pot. I got 58.3W from the watt meter when the current jumped (just needed to turn the Vo pot a little bit), 50.3W when everything down.

Then i started turning BOTH pots, little by little i turned both in turns because the current wouldn't go up before you turned the other pot more. I didn't even need to turn either halfway when i got to 2.70A, the watt meter read about 136W at that point.

So do ya'll know how this driver really works :D I wonder if the watt meter is useful at this point if it's only showing weird numbers, or is there any logic? Is the logic that i need to turn both pots to the max and hope for the best before blowing something up? :lol:
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Sounds like that watt meter is fucked, just set it up with your multimeter and forget the watt meter
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:35 am
Sounds like that watt meter is fucked, just set it up with your multimeter and forget the watt meter
Seems like the adjustment rates don't even make any sense with these, i get like 42.8V (or was it 43.8) at lowest and then need to turn both pots to get the voltage up, at midway i get like 46V something what i've so far tested. Would be wonderful if i could measure both voltage and amperage at the same time. Not sure how this will go.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Turn your voltage to maximum first, then adjust your current. Your driver will automatically use the correct voltage. Maybe contact the supplier and ask them what the issue is also.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Disconnect the pot, one driver, two boards. Turn Vo all the way up, turn Io all the way up, what does the kilowatt meter say?
Indiled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Your voltage going to boards is between (2.6-2.9)16 or 41.6-46.4
If you got top voltage bin then max voltage is 2.9 but they are binned at 2.8.
It sounds like your system is right on target.

Ledgardener has a video on setting up constant voltage drivers.
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:14 am
Turn your voltage to maximum first, then adjust your current. Your driver will automatically use the correct voltage. Maybe contact the supplier and ask them what the issue is also.
Not sure where would i contact, meanwell?
Shimbob wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 am
Disconnect the pot, one driver, two boards. Turn Vo all the way up, turn Io all the way up, what does the kilowatt meter say?
323W. With the pot 315.8W
Indiled wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 am

Your voltage going to boards is between (2.6-2.9)16 or 41.6-46.4
If you got top voltage bin then max voltage is 2.9 but they are binned at 2.8.
It sounds like your system is right on target.

Ledgardener has a video on setting up constant voltage drivers.
I did some testing with my multimeter and the watt meter, external dim leading pot taken away=

Both pots down = 42.4V & 57.3W
Both pots almost half way = 43.7V, 2.60A (kept climbing to 2.65A) & 135W (kept climbing a little)

Vo pot middle, Io pot full = 45.2V & 292W
Vo pot little bit down from middle, Io pot full = 44.8V, 290W

(started measuring Amperage): 1.72A 88W with same settings^
Both pots middle = 2.7A 138W
Both pots 2 lines away from the end (11 lines total) = 5.41A & 299W

(started measuring Voltage): 44.4V & 247W with the same setting^
Vo pot the same, Io pot all the way down 41.9V & 56.2W

45V 290W both pots all the way up (with external pot in dim wires)
45V 294W without the external pot

(started measuing Amperage): 5.97A & 323W both pots turned all the way up (without the external pot)

With external pot on minimum was 0.44A & 23.6W, maximum 5.82A & 315.8W, and testing ~50% got me 2.91A & 146.7W.

Thinking about the results:
It's a little bit confusing how i never got over 45.2V in my testing, and the max amperage was like 5.97A (The voltage was 45V before switching to amperage which would be like 268W total?). The watt meter also wasn't much of a use to me since it was all around the place (maybe someone can explain the numbers).

I also did test the driver without any boards connected to it, and got 42.8V at the minimum when turning down Vo pot, and maximum of 53.6V. That's pretty confusing to me too.

So what's up with these crazy results? :lol: Need some serious help since my grow is starting very very soon.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Working as intended.