Best U channel aluminium size for H inFlux L06 strips?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
weedsurfer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I've got a choice between 1" wide with 1/2" sides 1/8" thick U-channel aluminium heatsinks for my H inFlux strips which are 24mm wide or 1" wide with 1" sides 1/16" thick. They're both around the same price.

Which do you think would be best?

Also, I can only find thermal tape 20mm wide to mount the strips. Do you think it'd be ok to have 2mm each side of the strips without thermal tape?
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Too late for me too count but leaning towards 1/8th for bigger mass, 2" of 1/8th>3" of 1/16th by 33%.

How hard are you running your strips? Thin selfadhesive isnt that bad, we went with 3M brand 25mm which worked fine.
weedsurfer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Rocket Soul wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:27 pm
Too late for me too count but leaning towards 1/8th for bigger mass, 2" of 1/8th>3" of 1/16th by 33%.

How hard are you running your strips? Thin selfadhesive isnt that bad, we went with 3M brand 25mm which worked fine.
I've not got the strips yet, only just ordered them for my first build. Not sure how hard I'll be running them but if I ran them at max I'd be getting over 46w per square foot so I doubt I'll ever need that.

Is that thermal adhesive tape you used?
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

3M brand, Minnesota mining company or something like that, cant remember quite but popular enough to be available in hardware stores here in spain. Its not thermal but very thin and works well. I believe @greengenes tried them out with his first photoboost reference build and they were only narrowly beaten out by normal thermal tape. I dont know whats more important; being proper thermal but not quite wide enough, or being wide enough but only a thin standard self adhesive. In any case try to run your strips soft and you solve the root of the problem.

In this case per w / squarefoot is a bit irrelevant, better quote power per diode or power per foot of strip. Per square foot will matter to the plants not to your heatsink as you can get there by using 1-10 strips.
weedsurfer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Rocket Soul wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:32 am
3M brand, Minnesota mining company or something like that, cant remember quite but popular enough to be available in hardware stores here in spain. Its not thermal but very thin and works well. I believe @greengenes tried them out with his first photoboost reference build and they were only narrowly beaten out by normal thermal tape. I dont know whats more important; being proper thermal but not quite wide enough, or being wide enough but only a thin standard self adhesive. In any case try to run your strips soft and you solve the root of the problem.

In this case per w / squarefoot is a bit irrelevant, better quote power per diode or power per foot of strip. Per square foot will matter to the plants not to your heatsink as you can get there by using 1-10 strips.
I've bought 24 Samsung H inFlux L06 3000k strips which are 32w per strip, so I'll be running them at about 75%. Sounds like I might be ok either way then, cheers
Dust4dust
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

My advice would be buy 30mm tape fit to strip trim with a razor blade

Or if u search eBay hard enough I found 25 mm thermal tape ,posted from Belgium