Quantum board heatsink

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey everyone, I'm looking to add 2 quantum boards to my tent that I have 6 cobs running in. I'm not looking to drive them to hard on this run, maybe 50 or 60 watts per board. Do you think I need heatsinks for that??
I'm also looking at building a bigger light with 4 boards like the hlg 550 for a primary light after this cycle. Does anyone know of any other heatsink options other than horticulturelightinggroup? They seem to always be out 😭😭😭.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Budsie wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:26 am
Hey everyone, I'm looking to add 2 quantum boards to my tent that I have 6 cobs running in. I'm not looking to drive them to hard on this run, maybe 50 or 60 watts per board. Do you think I need heatsinks for that??
I'm also looking at building a bigger light with 4 boards like the hlg 550 for a primary light after this cycle. Does anyone know of any other heatsink options other than horticulturelightinggroup? They seem to always be out 😭😭😭.
If you're going to be running them at only 60w, the QB120 seems like the best option. No heatsink required, up to 70w (they used to say up to 60w, but they've changed that - wonder if that has anything to do with LEDGardener's torture test!). As for a heatsink for a big four-board build - I've seen some people use a single, flat sheet of aluminum (don't recall what thickness). LEDGardener could probably offer better, more detailed advice though.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

welcome to the forum first off!! https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... ntum-board

at the very bottom of the page they have a little info on the heat sink.. they say if you plan on going 60+watts. it probably will need a aluminum plate or heat sink... with the two you probably can get away with out one.. if they start getting too hot just put a 1/8 in aluminum behind it..

question two I have yet to find out... I have been looking for the same reason, slate4/5 always out of stock... if you got a big enough piece of 1/8 it should work... when I look at the hlg550 online or in videos all the heat sink looks like is a milled and drilled piece of 1/8 inch..

I hope this helps some... if you find any heat sinks that can fit a qb let us know!!!!

cheers
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:25 pm
welcome to the forum first off!! https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... ntum-board

at the very bottom of the page they have a little info on the heat sink.. they say if you plan on going 60+watts. it probably will need a aluminum plate or heat sink... with the two you probably can get away with out one.. if they start getting too hot just put a 1/8 in aluminum behind it..

question two I have yet to find out... I have been looking for the same reason, slate4/5 always out of stock... if you got a big enough piece of 1/8 it should work... when I look at the hlg550 online or in videos all the heat sink looks like is a milled and drilled piece of 1/8 inch..

I hope this helps some... if you find any heat sinks that can fit a qb let us know!!!!

cheers
I hope I'm replying correctly lol.... Thanks for the info. I came across diamond aluminum sheet at home depot that might work and can't seem to get and copy the link from the app. They have a 12x24 sheet and a 36x36 in sheet. Maybe?
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Humple wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:17 pm
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:26 am
If you're going to be running them at only 60w, the QB120 seems like the best option. No heatsink required, up to 70w (they used to say up to 60w, but they've changed that - wonder if that has anything to do with LEDGardener's torture test!). As for a heatsink for a big four-board build - I've seen some people use a single, flat sheet of aluminum (don't recall what thickness). LEDGardener could probably offer better, more detailed advice though.
I actually came across a steal of a deal on some of the 304 boards so I jumped on em and knew I'd use some of them on a bigger build and maybe sell some off to friends in the future. Thanks for the info πŸ˜€
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:55 pm

cheers
I hope I'm replying correctly lol.... Thanks for the info. I came across diamond aluminum sheet at home depot that might work and can't seem to get and copy the link from the app. They have a 12x24 sheet and a 36x36 in sheet. Maybe?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buildin ... /203930831

you talking about stuff like that??? if so it's not going to work well if at all... you want the quantum board to be 100% in contact with the aluminum..

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... top_cat=60 is more what you are trying to find.... check local metal supply shops around your area... it will be cheap than home depot/lowes and less than online because of the shipping...

now regarding the size... since your running with cobs for the one light I would get two 1/8in (.125) pieces just a 1/2 in or so bigger than the quantum boards and figure out how to mount it on the fixture... with the hlg550 clone.. I think their heat sinks are roughly 28in by 20in... so any where from there up to your full area size for a better spread.. the single piece would work well 3x3 or 4x4 but it's expensive as Heck I think....

another though... mount 4 pieces just slightly bigger than the QB's on a 3x3 or 4x4 frame.. similar to my set up but with different heat sinks. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56. ( so you can find it 😁 it's buried in the pages..)
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:05 pm
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:55 pm

cheers
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buildin ... /203930831

you talking about stuff like that??? if so it's not going to work well if at all... you want the quantum board to be 100% in contact with the aluminum..

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... top_cat=60 is more what you are trying to find.... check local metal supply shops around your area... it will be cheap than home depot/lowes and less than online because of the shipping...

now regarding the size... since your running with cobs for the one light I would get two 1/8in (.125) pieces just a 1/2 in or so bigger than the quantum boards and figure out how to mount it on the fixture... with the hlg550 clone.. I think their heat sinks are roughly 28in by 20in... so any where from there up to your full area size for a better spread.. the single piece would work well 3x3 or 4x4 but it's expensive as Heck I think....

another though... mount 4 pieces just slightly bigger than the QB's on a 3x3 or 4x4 frame.. similar to my set up but with different heat sinks. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56. ( so you can find it 😁 it's buried in the pages..)
That's exactly what I was looking at at the home depot website.... I think and don't quote me but usually the cheaper stuff is flat on one side and grooved on the other to save money. If that is the case, what do you think? I'm going to go look at it and see. Unfortunately metal shops, machine shops and rebuild shops are getting less and less as time goes on. That just made me feel old lol
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

[/quote]

BTW.... That's a very nice light fixture you got there 😎😎😎
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

JGG, do you know if I can get away with running 2 qb 304 with the hlg-240-1400b?
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 pm
JGG, do you know if I can get away with running 2 qb 304 with the hlg-240-1400b?
yes... wired in parallel.. at 700ma they will draw 109v max..... the hlg240h-1400 has voltage range of 89-179v.. the roughly will put out 75 watts each... if you have that driver and are reusing definitely yes...

if you are buying a driver you can go down to a 185h-1400.... the hlg120h-c1400 says a max voltage of 108... if you got the better bin by chance and only pull the 106 range, two would just squeak under the max range..