Samsung horticular linears

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:12 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:17 pm
There is nothing I can say to the defense of a company who would prefer their customer would burn alive, then know of risks in chargers. If Samsung can allow themselves that, I'm sure they can allow themselves anything.

I might pick on details, but I see the standards you set for yourself, and in my mind this gives you the right to apply your standards on others. I have no doubt that an exceptional approach will lead you to exceptional results, and the reputation you deserve :D

I'm still slightly intrigued by the 5700k spectrum, I don't think I would grab 120pcs to test them, but I am very interested on how they might preform.

Last night my US partners contacted me and said if I'm making a larger purchase on something interesting, they can throw a few thousand towards nongeneric strips so I'm going through a lot of options in my mind. If I had already done my high CRI side by sides, I would probably pitch that stuff to them, but their focus in this is still too much in production figures, I have to be a good consultant and find a solution that is perfect for their needs, rather then mine.

For the Americans I am tempted to just recommend the new boards from cutter. I'd want them myself too, but have no clue on where to get QB shaped heatsinks in Europe, so I think I might have to find some alternative solution for me and the Finnish purchaser.

I also have a larger Finnish import company who would be ready for a large order if I could find something to recommend. I was thinking of telling them to get a pile of cutter boards, and a container of heatsinks from china, but feel shipping the heatsinks would take months...
Aloha & The Americans are buying HLG, Artium and Photostrips from Greengene. At $25 each for 120 I do not see many takers if Digikey will not stock Samsung Horticulture Strips in smaller quantities.
25$ for 50w nominal is still in the lower end of generic strip price, does greengene sell that cheap? I thought his normal price was 32$ for 37.5w nominal. He is just cashing in from fanboys. I think Samsungs main target market for these strips are vertical farms, and can't imagine I could make a commercial vertical farm using less then 120 strips. I feel you though, MOQ's of 120pcs are out of reach for DIY...

What interests me here is their special spectrum that does have research to back it up. I'd like to see what a high kelvin source with strong red could do.
Greengene is just like some youtube icon for kids. The kids are impressed by his tech savey, so they buy his kits for the same reason pigs buy lipstick. Hope their friends are impressed. Nothing wrong in the process, I just doubt he has made a single sale to professionals.
After seeing greengene treating people like shit on forums I see no reason to lay it out plain: There is nothing special about his products, but there might be something very special about the guy, since people follow him.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I thought 50w was max on the horti sammies. I wouldnt wanna run a strip that hard anyway, i figure 25ish w per 2 foot usually works well heatsinkwise.

Just think id rather go for a combo of strips for that price. Maybe a Vesta or some other low K, 90cri flowery strips and maybe some cutter customized red and uv strip.

Im seriously thinking of bringing in a large batch of 2700k 90cri of bridgelux gen3 for the next builds.
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & Greengene has strips in stock for $28. To try to compare his small operation to the big players like Samsung, GE, Seoul Semiconductor , Gavita and Fluence is comparing oranges to apples at best. I happen to enjoy his and others videos as a great educational format. If I was looking for low cost how about this $129 to the USA with shipping included?
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Samsung LM281BA for the budget Canada model. A 150w model with premium chips is due in July.https://www.samsung.com/led/lighting/mi ... 81ba-plus/
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Greengenes is a good guy, not sure why he carried on regarding the testing, seems like he was having a bad day or week, it was an ugly read and he could have handled himself a lot better instead of attacking Randomblame like he did.
Fact is in that instance both Randomblame and Greengenes were making correct statements.

In general he is helpful to people although he gets to the point and it comes across as arrogant but people can say the same about me too.
The administrators on RIU have harassed him quite a bit in the past and that also doesn't help as he it puts him on edge knowing that some moron administrator will harass him further while halfwitt trolls get to say what they like.

A small business helps in this game just as much as the big companies and even more at times.
You don't see Samsung doing a grow room side by side lighting comparison, as an actual grower it makes Greengenes more qualified than Samsung at assessment to what lighting works and what doesn't.
He also has his grow lab tested at times to see what works best instead of relying on how it looks.

Need to remember people are not buying these lights to grow lettuce, they want to see real world results and Greengenes does show that to people.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & HLG in the latest Migro testing was at the top of the ladder. What is nice for the consumers is the umol/j ladder is growing taller every year.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:00 pm
Greengenes is a good guy, not sure why he carried on regarding the testing, seems like he was having a bad day or week, it was an ugly read and he could have handled himself a lot better instead of attacking Randomblame like he did.
Fact is in that instance both Randomblame and Greengenes were making correct statements.

In general he is helpful to people although he gets to the point and it comes across as arrogant but people can say the same about me too.
The administrators on RIU have harassed him quite a bit in the past and that also doesn't help as he it puts him on edge knowing that some moron administrator will harass him further while halfwitt trolls get to say what they like.

A small business helps in this game just as much as the big companies and even more at times.
You don't see Samsung doing a grow room side by side lighting comparison, as an actual grower it makes Greengenes more qualified than Samsung at assessment to what lighting works and what doesn't.
He also has his grow lab tested at times to see what works best instead of relying on how it looks.

Need to remember people are not buying these lights to grow lettuce, they want to see real world results and Greengenes does show that to people.
I also saw him claiming that cutters 200lm/w strips are only producing 150lm/w. I have no doubt people follow him for a reason.
Not challenging the spectrum he uses, 80cri with a red pump is pretty standard fare. Not even saying that samsungs horticular research would necessarily translate to cannabis growing. Seeing that no one has a sure idea what to expect from them does increase my interest though.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & Greengene has a few flaws like we all seem to have. I think he disappointed more than a few with constant waiting lists. I made a joke about his plants live in a constant hurricane and he did not take it well.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:53 am
TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:00 pm

I also saw him claiming that cutters 200lm/w strips are only producing 150lm/w. I have no doubt people follow him for a reason.
Not challenging the spectrum he uses, 80cri with a red pump is pretty standard fare. Not even saying that samsungs horticular research would necessarily translate to cannabis growing. Seeing that no one has a sure idea what to expect from them does increase my interest though.
When I tested the Cutter Cree strips they came in at 185 lumens per watt at operating temperature. I haven't tested them with Nichia but I would expect 200 lumens per watt from them.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & Is 45% 6.5K + 45% 3.5K + 10% 660 red = about 4.6K? It looks like my friend in China is the new cheap 120w wanna be Valoya?